Find
Notify
Tools

Almost all you need to know to R/L your .270
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I found the following discussion on reloading for a .270 very interesting. It covers some important issues that are frequently discussed on this forum.

Almost all you need to know when reloading for your .270.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Not a bad little dissertation. I do take exception to a few things, though.

1. He mentions loads for a powder no longer available: Hodgdon 450

2. He unnecessarily advocates magnum primers as a starting point. Why?

3. I don't think he meant to, but by the way he formatted the paragraphs he appears to lump the following bullets into the "High Expansion" category: Hornady InterLock, Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Fail-Safe and Partition Gold. These are definitely not in the same category as Ballistic Tips. A beginner would effectively be confused.

4. He claims brass "needs" to fire-formed to your rifle. Not true.

Otherwise, a nice effort. I especially liked the section on how far running game travels during bullet flight.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post

RSY,
I found some of his thoughts you mentioned interesting as well, but surprisingly have heard his exact sentiments recently from another gunsmith that is probably the most respected reloader in southern Georgia. For example, the gunsmith here has long been of the opinion that magnum rifle primers for .270 are indeed the best way to go. He finds the burns much more thorough and consistent. He also has explained to me on more than one occasion the benefit of shooting brass that has been previously shot through the same rifle, saying it gets fitted for that gun better than new brass.
With my modest reloading experience, I can't personally make the case for any of these issues, but when I hear them repeated by another long-time reloader (25 years), I have to at least give them some degree of credibility.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Well, fireforming brass can help sometimes. However, that's only if the cases are neck-sized, rather than full-length-sized. He should have mentioned that.

Most hunting rounds should be full-length sized, anyway; which negates any benefits fire-forming might offer. This is simply to ensure proper mechanical functioning of the rifle, not to mention the fact that it allows the round to be used in most any other rifle of the same chambering. For safety's sake, neck-sized rounds should pretty much be married to the one rifle from whence they came.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote