Find
Notify
Tools

Firing primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of kk
posted
What is a safe way to fire primers where their flame trail is visible?

I assume a metal punch, hammer and vise are NOT the way to go.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do it at all?

Only SAFE way I can think of is to load them in empty case and fire in dark room...fire them IN the rifle or pistol as if they were live ammo. Same safety rules apply.

[ 01-15-2003, 01:59: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
I recently saw a photo of a primer going off. It may have been in the Speer handbook.

Pecos 45 is asking which primer to use. Clearly, there is a difference in performance. But is that difference the depth to which the ignition penetrates, the breadth, the volume, the concentration....?

Obviously, the "same" safety rules don't apply since there is no secondary explosion of powder or a projectile flying downrange at a few thousand fps.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They blow out a fair amount of particulate. I wouldn't want to be within 20 feet of the business end. I used to shoot a lot of the Speer plastic practice ammo. It is powered by a primer only and they left a lot of grit in the bore. Seemed to me they would put out the plastic bullet at 250 feet per second or so.

Say, that might be a way to get some feedback as to their output that could be accurately measured. Get some of the 44 mag practice shells and try your different rifle primers across a chronograph with the plastic bullets. Shoot them at night without the bullets to see the flame front. I would video them from the side and play back at slow motion. I would think the shortest revolver barrel would give the best result for flame observation and a long one for output tests.

If the flame won�t get out of the barrel at all you could set up some mirrors to video straight down the bore safely. Never get in front of any gun. loaded or not. All safety precautions should be observed at all times.

Just some thoughts.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kk - Haven't you ever heard the old axiom, "Treat EVERY gun as if it's loaded?" If you think there is a difference here, perhaps you better go back and restudy that principal.

Frankly, knowing my memory as I do, I doubt you would want to stand off 100 yds and let me "shoot you" with a "primer only" round any more than I would want to trust YOUR memory to shoot me with such a "harmless round." Get my point? The cemetaries are full of shooters that grabbed the wrong thing or forgot what the hell they were doing.

[ 01-16-2003, 01:23: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hired Gun - You are exactly right. Primers do put out a pretty impressive blast. The flaw in observing this blast in any revolver is you will of course lose some via the cylinder gap.

Your idea of testing them via a Chrony probably has some merit...depending on how constant the variables of the plastic ammo are. And will a Chrony read that low a velocity? It's been awhile since I even messed with chronographs.

one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
kk - Haven't you ever heard the old axiom, "Treat EVERY gun as if it's loaded?" If you think there is a difference here, perhaps you better go back and restudy that principal.

Hi, Pecos:

Trying to be somebody's Dad? I think you should treat every gun as if it were loaded, because it ought to be.

But I can't see where you found a gun. I asked about igniting a primer because I saw one being ignited in a photo.

But if nobody knows, that's OK. I certainly don't think it's worth duelling over.

kk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put them on the burner of an electric stove and turn it on high. They make a loud noise when they get up to a certain temperature.

If you wanted to see what effect the flash hole has, you could cut the head off a case and just prime that and cook it.

It may help to do this in a dark room. When your wife is not home.

H. C.

[ 01-16-2003, 03:57: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kk - I wasn't trying to "be someone's dad" nor start an argument with my initial comments, kk. Or in any comments to follow really.

I just TRY to err on the side of caution posting anything like this on a public forum. My reasoning was thus: You ASKED about observing primers and I THOUGHT that perhaps you didn't know how potent and dangerous these little spark plugs could really be.

I didn't want you or anyone else to put out and eye because I didn't warn them. That's all.

Sorry if you thought I was demeaning you in some way. It was not my intent.

one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Hi, Pecos:

It looked from the photo like the flash was about two feet out. That's a lot more than I had thought.

Since you mentioned spark plugs, I know you can watch their ignition by removing one with the wire still attached and grounding it. When I worked in a gas station as a kid, we had non-conductive pliers we could do it with.

Anyway, sounds like it's just not done, which is fine.

kk

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
You can put them on the burner of an electric stove and turn it on high. They make a loud noise when they get up to a certain temperature.

If you wanted to see what effect the flash hole has, you could cut the head off a case and just prime that and cook it.

Be VERY careful, here. The flash hole is small enough that the pressure will blow the primer OUT of the case head--ten or twenty yards! This is how I remove live berdan primers from cartridges after I remove the bullet and powder. Wear ear and eye protection, welding gloves, and kneel behind a plywood barricade with the primer pointed in a safe direction (outside).

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Shooting Chrony will read my Daisy Red Rider at about 125 feet per second. I also use it on bows as low as 100 fps.

Those plastic target bullets are very consistant. They just seat into the plastic cases by hand. If you were working with say twenty shot averages I'm sure you would form some opinions about their output. It's all probably moot though as I doubt they are still available. Too bad, as they sure were fun for yard varmints.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
kk---

We did this in gunsmith school.

We built a light proof box painted black inside and put a hotplate and a camera on a tripod inside with the release cable coming out the top of the box through a grommet that was also light tight.

Set the primers on the cold hot plate. Set the camera focused on the primer. Close the box. Trip the shutter on "B" (time exposure), and turn on the hot plate. When the primer goes off stop the camera and unplug the hot plate.

It was a waste of time, but interesting to do. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
kk---

We did this in gunsmith school.

We built a light proof box painted black inside and put a hotplate and a camera on a tripod inside with the release cable coming out the top of the box through a grommet that was also light tight.

Set the primers on the cold hot plate. Set the camera focused on the primer. Close the box. Trip the shutter on "B" (time exposure), and turn on the hot plate. When the primer goes off stop the camera and unplug the hot plate.

It was a waste of time, but interesting to do. [Smile]

Perfect.

kk