New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALLIANT POWDERS :RL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It appears rifle powder is slowing becoming more available with the exception of Alliant offerings (RL powders).
Anyone know what is behind the scene with these products?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think spotty is the word. I needed RL17, all the usual big online guys were out. Tried a local shop that has some stuff. Sure nuff, over 10 pounds on the shelf, more in the back. Plenty of Alliant powders, not so much H, IMR or Accurate. Online seems to be the opposite. Oh, they had primers also, but those I got. We will make it through this.

Try your local shops. Maybe Lady Luck will smile on you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t know where I’m Texas you are located, but Texas Shooting Sports in Odessa had RL 15, 17 and 22 a couple of weeks ago. Was able to pick up 5 lbs of RL-15.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2897 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever since Sandy Hook Alliant powder is the first to go out of stock and the slowest/last to show back up. I gave up on them years ago after using Red/Green/Blue Dot, Unique, RL-7, 15, 19, 22 for decades. I've found replacements. In 2015 when powders became semi available again I stocked up on RL-7 in 5# jugs for cast bullet shooting because it works so well.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a bit of Alliant powders here at local shops in North Carolina. The only one we can't find is 20/28 for loading 20ga shells.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Funny this topic should come up. Just a week or so ago, I was on the hunt for some Alliant powders, namely 2400 and RE-15. I was able to turn up an 8lb jug of 2400 and a single pound of RE-15 at a few gun stores, but the issue I ran into was the sheer price of the stuff! I ended up passing on the 2400 because it was north of $40/lb when other powders in that quantity can be had for less than $30. The RE-15 was $40, but I remember paying that the whole time.

Not sure if it's the fact many of their powders are imported or some other gun guy conspiracy (the government!) causing the huge price difference, but as others have said, I'm starting to migrate away from them and to other cheaper, more available alternatives. The only one I'll continue to use is RE-15, as that's the secret sauce for my 416 and I don't want to change.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw RL 16 today in an 8 lb jug for $459.99! That is not a typo. That is $57.50 per pound.

It was good to see it but wow, what a price.

They also had RL 17 in a 5 lb jug at $248.99.

If someone is interested, let me know and I’ll tell you where it’s at.

Posts: 55 | Location: TN | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slowmover12:
I saw RL 16 today in an 8 lb jug for $459.99! That is not a typo. That is $57.50 per pound.

It was good to see it but wow, what a price.

They also had RL 17 in a 5 lb jug at $248.99.

If someone is interested, let me know and I’ll tell you where it’s at.

You said it right there! Not sure why Alliant powders seem to be the only ones skyrocketing in price, but it's taking a chunk out of the economy of reloading. I realize by the time you factor the cost per load out it comes down to tenths of a penny, but it's hard to justify such a huge initial outlay when there are other powders out there that do the same thing for less.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I walked into a Feed and Hardware store nearby here and found a shelf with about 120 cans of H110. I used that powder in my nuclear 45Colt and 44Mag loads and was well stocked in it so I passed. I asked the guy at the counter about their deliveries, and he said he has no idea what is coming and when it is coming. His thoughts, which I agree with, is that manufacturers run large batches of the most easily saleable powder and get around to the other stuff when time allows.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering what's going off this side of the "Pond" these days, l'd think that little punch-up further east from me may have something to do with the problems of RL supply.
A bit like the issue of S&B primers and brass are currently unobtaineum here, due to their supplying much of the munitions for one side of the spit line.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shipment of RL powders landed in NZ very recently. First delivery in at least 1 year, maybe even 2 years. I don't know what grades are included apart from RL26 which some guys have been crying out for. I suspect most won't even go onto shop shelves as most shops have taken pre-orders and the powder will be snapped up instantly. I'm told pricing will be at least 50% higher than last "normal" prices. But, inflation is increasing costs all round currently I suppose.
A small step in the right direction. Just wish we had some definite news on primer supplies as well.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2080 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received an e-mail notice today from Powder Valley in Winfield, KS this morning. They have quite a few types of Alliant powders in stock right now. Still kind of expensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i saw some some RL-16 on line this week, high $59.00 per pound. no thanks. ill stick with my 4350s and 4831s

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious as to what VihtaVuori powder relaces RL-22 as its available locally???????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N165
N560

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stores in Twin FAlls are full of H and IMR bought 5 bs of powder, 4831 SC. and H380

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lee and 160 an 140 looks good it seems, Its quality powder what little Ive used..I have a supply of V V 140 & 133 perhaps VV 160 is the best and thats good powder..160 seems the equal to 4831 sc??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I was told back in March when I called my supplier that alot of Alliant's powder comes from Sweden and was being used to supply military powder of the Ukraine war. With that said, it is slowly starting to show up on shelves. The days of powder of being under $40 a pound are gone. My cost on powder is around $40 to $48 a pound depending on what one. There is very little mark up on powder.

Off topic, if you use Retumbo for anything, it is going away. IMR/Hodgdon will no longer be importing it from Australia.

I will probably be switching some of my loads to VV powder because it is much easier to find.

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote