New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dies
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Is there really any big difference between the different brands of dies?

<Don Martin29>
posted
I just returned a set of Hornady dies. The seating die is a universal die for all cartridges of a particular caliber. It produced runout five times higher than RCBS dies.

I like RCBS the best.

<green 788>
posted
I think the law of diminishing returns certainly applies doubly for loading dies. You can spend upwards of 100 dollars (200 depending on chambering) for a set of competition dies. What these presumably do better than conventional dies is reduce runout, meaning they size the case neck to be concentric with the case body, then seat the bullet perfectly straight into the case neck.

Most studies done on runout indicate that about .004" works as well as no runout at all. You can get .004 or better from conventional dies.

I like the Lee Collet dies. They are only about 25 dollars a set, and once you learn how to use them, they will produce ammo with .000" to .002" runout max.

Learning how to properly use the dies is very important, and you do often see folks reporting bad results with all types of dies, often because they didn't use them per instructions.

The Lee Collet dies allow you to neck size in a very concentric fashion without having to use case lube. They work beautifully--when properly used.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I don't think that there is much difference between dies of the same price range. Your personal preferences may select or reject positively,though.As an example;i bought a set of Hornady new age dies.I was very disappointed,and told the Company so. I posted this fact on a Forum,such as this.A fellow responded that he likes these dies,better then his RCBS dies.
Lee dies are a classic example of this.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote