New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua cases for Sako 6mm PPC?
 Login/Join

<dshoots>
posted
Can I use Lapua 6mmPPC cases in my Sako rifle chambered for 6mmPPC, or are the case dimensions different enough to cause a problem when fireforming? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua 220 Russian cases work fine in my old model Sako 6PPC. (1989 vintage)

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
<dshoots>
posted
Redrover, thanks for your reply. It's helpful since my Sako is also the older model (S491). dshoots

one of us
posted Hide Post
dshoots:

It was late at night here when I posted previously, and I should have included one small caution – make quite sure that you have sufficient neck (diameter) clearance. The chamber of my Sako L461 rifle has a neck diameter of 0.271in, and I gather that this is pretty much the standard for all the models of Sako 6PPCs – the L461, the S491 and the Model 75.

The necks of the batch of Lapua cases I have finished up at a diameter of 0.268 – 0.269in, measured over a seated bullet, so while there is enough clearance for the bullet to get out of the neck freely, there is not a lot to spare. If you re-form a few 220 Russian cases, seat bullets in them, paint the cases necks with a marker pen, and try chambering them, it will give you a good indication if you have clearance or not. If you are not sure, either get a gunsmith to determine exactly what the chamber neck diameter is, and/or outside turn the case necks, to take a thou or two off the diameter of them.

I turn my Lapua cases to a neck diameter of about 0.2675in (over a seated bullet) which is enough to clean up any irregularities in neck thickness, and I do my re-sizing with a Redding bushing die with a 0.265in bushing. Most ‘fixed’ 6PPC resizing dies reduce the necks to an OD of less than 0.260in, which would probably work the brass to death in a very short time.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote