New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee stuff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran into a guy at work who had what amounts to the lee anniversary set. He has upgraded all his tools since he originally bought this set in the mid 1990s. Here is the cool thing. It was free! The original lee powder measure is gone but there is a yellow lyman in it's place. The scale looks beat up so I'm thinking of replacing it. It also came with a hand priming tool and 2 sets of shell holders. One set has a small flange on the bottom and the other is flat on the bottom. I suppose one set is for the priming tool and the other for the press. I went to gander last night and got a set of .45 colt dies and 100 peices of brass. This is gonna be fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a digital scale. I have a the Lee Anniversary set, but I got an RCBS balance scale, but I secretly want a digital one for ultimate accuracy.

Have fun

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Good find. I have the Hornady/Pacific scale. Yes the Lee flat botom shell holders are for the hand priming tool. The others are for the press. The Lyman powder measure will do nicely but there are easier measures to use.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would buy a digital scale. I have a the Lee Anniversary set, but I got an RCBS balance scale, but I secretly want a digital one for ultimate accuracy

The digital might be a tad faster when weighing objects of unknown wgt, cases, bullets, ect but no more accurate. If all you want is more accurate wgt capability the digitals sold for reloading aren`t what you want.

I can`t comment on Lees press or measures but I use their collet dies and hand priming tool and am happy with them. They are not made IMO as well as RCBS, or Redding for example, but do good service.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a wonderful scale,made by OHAUS,its a Dial-o-grain. I bought it from a friend a couple a years ago. I know they were sold by RCBS for some years under the name RCBS 304 in Sweden. Are they still available in the US?
Regards Peter

Posts: 6 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy a digital scale (which I have) you still need a balance beam scale to proof it with. FYI, a reloading digital scale is no more accurate than a balance beam scale. And a balance beam isn't affected by lights, temp and such.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd come up with something of a known weight and check the accuracy of the scale first.

I went with the Lee Anniversay package two years ago. One simple reason - I didn't know if this was something I would enjoy enough to continue doing. My investment was minimal. Yours was even less ! Wink

I will admit that of all the original components, the only one I still use is the powder funnel Big Grin Guess I ended up liking it since I now have 13 die sets. WHOA ! Unlucky number, looks like I'll have to buy a new caliber rifle Cool

regards....roger

The only time I ever said "no" to a drink was when I misunderstood the question.

Will Sinclair

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had to have a digital scale when they first came out--bought one, used it 2-3 times, and sold it. Went back to my RCBS. Faster and more reliable.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
Good deal you got there. Smiler

Get a copy of MODERN RELOADING by Richard Lee. He makes the instructions simple for beginners to get started. You can get an extra press for the cost of just the book by ordering the "Anniversary Pack" (not to be confused with the "Anniversary Kit").

*click here*

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote