THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Does anyone use MS Excel in their reloading efforts?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use MS Excel in their reloading efforts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The reason I ask is I've been playing around at night building a spreadsheet that I can take print out use at the relodaing bench and then go to the range with and put in my chrony figures and have it figure out every thing down to muzzle energy just by putting the velocity data into the spreadsheet. I even found the formula for TKO and put it in there just for fun.

Here is a thumbnail of it click to make bigger:

I know I have two powder charges the same and I've fixed the spreadsheet just not the picture.

In the thumbnail I'm using a known load just to test my formulas. I've had the last few evenings free to work on it and think I'm about done.

I did this to help clean up a lot of the clutter at my bench as well as get it stored on a computer to refrence faster. Plus the loads my rifles like I can print out the data and store the hard copy in a binder.

So did I waste my time or not?

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I’ve always admired someone that can use Excel to its potential. I know a number of people that use it for their reloading records but none of them are as nice as yours.

I use Access and Adobe Acrobat to keep track of my reloading endeavors but that’s just electronic storage of targets and load information. If I need further analyzes of a load I have to drop the range information into Pointblank, LFAD, or Quickload/Quick Target.

I think what you’re doing is pretty cool.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
taylorce1,

I use Excel. I keep a seperate sheet for each rifle. Each sheet has a tab for scope setting, case dimentions, my reloads, trajectory numbers and a chart of trajectory.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much better to use a database like Access. Databases can not only generate statistics like a spreadsheet (or export data to a spreadsheet if you are more comfortable there), but can also reveal hidden relationships.

I use a DB to not only track loads, but relate them to velocity and accuracy data in a one-to-many relationship. You can even use it to spot bum scopes and magazines. One project I just started is to analyze the relationship between match scores and bullet weight, the hypothesis being that I shoot light bullets better in offhand and sitting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Excel to inventory my reloading storuff.
I also measure a lot of rifle chamber casts and reloading die interior dimensions.
I store all that data on Excel.

I have used Excel in an engineering capacity for about 20 years. There is almost nothing that you can't get it to do. However some true power users can exceed the capacity of a worksheet.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have Office 03 which doesn' have Access at home and 07 at work which has Access. I'm always asked for Excel spreadsheets at work but they were all premade where I just plug in the info. I've never put anything together like I did with this one. I'm self taught on Excel as well, but I might dip into access and see what I can do there.

I'm just killing time at night until I head out hunting for third season for deer and elk. Wifes out of town doing training for her new job and I sneak to the computer after I put the little to bed.

Mick if you want a copy of what I have for spread sheets drop me a PM or email and I'll send you what I have. One thing with Excel I haven't figured out yet is how to protect a cell from having the formula altered. I'm sure it is simple and I'm just missing something can anyone help?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check under

format > cells > protection > locked

or something like that

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Check under

format > cells > protection > locked

or something like that

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Also, if you want to set just a single cell in a formula with all other cells changing within the formula as you compute different numbers, you can use $ signs to set that one cell.

For example, =($A$14/B14)*3

Cell A14 will remain constant and will not change but as you fill down, or something, B14 will change.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit using MS products at home. My system runs on Linux with one exception: I have not yet migrated Quickload, also the children still use XP (dual boot) for their games on one machine.

Open Office is pretty much a good and free substitute for both Word and Excel. Internet Explorer? Ha, this POS you ought exchange for Firefox even on a Windows machine!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote