THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet is used in PMC Bronze Line ammo?
 Login/Join

<roy p>
posted
I just bought a bunch of boxes of PMC Bronze Line ammunition in 7mm-08 with 139 grain pointed soft point bullets from a mail order outfit. I'm thinking the bullet is Hornady's 139 grain interlock, either flat base or maybe the boattail, probably flat base. It doesn't say what bullet they use, but since it says 139 grain, it's gotta be a Hornady interlock. At least I think it's gotta be.

The price was cheaper than any other factory ammo I've found in this caliber, and I figured I can't go wrong if I use it for practice. But if it is indeed Hornady's interlock bullet, then I think I hit on a great deal here. If anyone can confirm that PMC is using the interlock bullet in this ammunition, I'm gonna buy a case of it.

Anyone know for certain?

I just might pull a bullet and cut it in half and look at its interior. If it is Hornady, I should see that interlock ring in there, shouldn't I?
roy p.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy,

You might want to do a bit of testing with that PMC ammunition. I don't know about the stuff sold in the USA, but the PMC ammo sold in Namibia and South Africa is loaded in Korea and the bullets are complete garbage. They are incredibly inaccurate and perform terribly on game...traits which Hornady bullets do not exhibit. I have tremendous confidence in Hornady bullets, although I prefer Noslers.

Tell us what you find out when you cut open one of those bullets.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Cossack>
posted
This web site lists Sierra and a non specific PSP for non monolithic bullets.

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/pmcammo/pmcrifleammo/pmcriflebullettypes/pmcriflebullettypes.html

<roy p>
posted
Hello Joel and Cossack, thanks for your replies. I checked out the web site and it sure doesn't look like there is any kind of interlock ring or any kind of crimp, dimple or anything locking the lead core to the jacket.

I looked more carefully at the PMC web site and saw again their picture of their generic PSP bullet used in the Bronze line. Yes, they say that most of the Bronze line ammo is made in Korea, which is not necessarily bad. But it sure looks like it is NOT a Hornady bullet. I don't think I'll be hunting elk with these cartridges. Oh well, I bought it just to practice with, and I'm happy with that.

I'll cut open a bullet and see if there are holes or half eaten Cheerios stuck in the lead. Expect a full report early next week. roy p.

<roy p>
posted
Hey guys, by golly, it IS a Hornady Interlock 139 grain flat base bullet in my cheapie PMC Bronze Line 7mm-08 ammunition. I got my pliers and yanked out a bullet from one of the cartridges, clamped it horizontally in a vise with the upper half above the jaws, got my biggest file and started filing the bullet. As soon as I hit lead I could see the cannelure protruding into the lead core acting as a crimp, BUT then I could easily see another "ring", between the cannelure and base, protruding into the lead core. I went to the Hornady web site and printed a copy of the picture of a cut-away Interlock bullet. My filed-in-half bullet looks exactly, I mean EXACTLY, like their picture. Right down to the different jacket wall thicknesses at the tip, middle, and base.

I started dissecting the bullet. I was able to peel away the jacket a bit from the lead and I popped out the lead core. Looking inside the jacket, I could see both the cannelure and the interlock ring and it sure looks like they would do a good job of holding the core in place and prevent jacket separation. I could even see the inner grooves at the bullet tip. The lead core looked good, nothing but a smooth hunk of lead with two grooves in it from the cannelure and interlock ring, and an imprint of the grooves from the bullet tip.

So, no big holes in the lead, no half eaten Cheerios under the jacket, just a bonafide Hornady Interlock bullet. Joel Slate, I'll shoot a box or two, and see how the accuracy of these cartridges are. Then if they shoot good, I'm going to buy a case. roy p.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Roy. I guess it could be entirely possible that we got different bullets in the stuff sold in Africa.

I hope it works good for you. If they are genuine hornady bullets, they should definitely work well..

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<roy p>
posted
Joel Slate, last night I went to the range and shot 8 of those PMC cartridges to see if they are at least half decent in the accuracy department. Well, I was pleased with the results. 8 shots in 1 3/4 inches at 100 yards, and it was raining lightly, temps around 45 degrees F. I like shooting a two shot group, wait 15 minutes to cool (longer in hot weather), then 2 shots, etc. to simulate a real life hunting scenario. This is the same accuracy this rifle gets with factory Remington 140 grain PSP Corelokt ammo. If the PMC ammo shoots the same as Remington, it's good enough for me.

The rifle is my wife's plane jane, skinny barreled, Remington Model 7.

From your comments about the PMC ammo available in South Africa, it looks like what PMC sells in the US is indeed different from what you get over there. I don't understand marketing decisions. I thought a factory sells the same ammo all over, but apparently that isn't so.

I would have shot more, but the light rain was getting heavier, so I packed up and went home. And 8 shots gives a great indication of true accuracy. I like to simulate real life hunting scenarios, and rain is part of real life hunting scenarios, but this was getting ridiculous.

I'm gonna buy a bunch of this stuff. It is cheaper than any other factory ammo.

Good talking to you. roy p.