New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30/.224 cal sabots. Advice?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As money is tight and the P-dogs are popping up, I bought some of E. A Browns 30 cal sabots for shooting .224 varmint bullets from my 30.06 AI. (Cheaper than building my dream 22-250, for now.) They're not grouping well. I followed Brown's recommendation about starting with a very clean bore and loaded moderate charges of 3031 per his data. They're clocking over 4100 fps but groups are unreliable--around 2 inches with occasional extreme fliers. I've had to heavily chamfer the inside of the neck to seat them without removing a ton of material from the sabot but I suspect that its a concentricity seating problem. I'm just using my .06 AI Redding die to seat. So...has anyone had good luck with this system? How deep did you seat the sabot (I wish I had some of the old factory loaded rounds to look at.) Are there other variables I'm missing? I sure appreciate the input.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You are not going to get varmint accuracy using sabots...period...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper06>
posted
I agree, you will get the velocity and flat-trgectory, but not anywhere the accuracy that you will need to hit those small critters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Snowcat,
tried the 308 winchester accelerator about 15 years ago the grouping was crap in whatever rifle we tried them in!
so left them alone.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Snowcat:: DITTO ALL THE ABOVE. Sabots work well in tank ammo, but not in shoulder rifles!!