New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading new Federal ammo
 Login/Join

posted
Good morning,

I live in Mexico and can only buy bullets sold by the Mexican government. Which means that for my Remington 700 270 Bdl I can only use Federal Powershock 130gr.

I recently took my Chrony to the club and discovered a variance of 141 feet / sec between the slowest and fastest shot. (30 shots fired)

This has now led me to reloading the new Federal bullets.

My questions are:-

1. Do I need to resize & trim the neck?
2. Do I need to deburr again even if the bullets were never fired?

Thanks and regards,

Pavan

Posts: 6 | Location: Leon, Mexico | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pavan, resizing must be done each time you reload a case. You may decide on full-length resizing or only neck sizing - depend on dies you use. Necksizing is done only with cases fired in your rifle. You need to full-length resize case that came from other rifles. The trimming is only required every 2nd or 3rd time of reloading. When you trim the cases, you need to debur them. I use the Lee trimmer - not expensive but it works well. I fit the base of the trimming unit to an electric drill - running at low speed. First I insert the pilot and cut the case to the required length. Lee is ready made for each calibre and does not require adjustment. Then I debur the inside and outside of the case neck. Then I insert an old bore brush with a little steal wool on it inside the neck to polish it. Hereafter I take Nevrdull to polish the case. All in all taking me about 20-30 seconds per case. If you want to neck-turn cases - this is a different story. this is where you cut the necks to the same thickness. You need a ball micrometer for this and a ourside neck turner. This only has benefit if you have a custom target rifle with a tight throat. You then cut all the necks of cases to an even thickness of say 12/thousands of an inch. If you are using ordinary factory rifle this would not realy have any benefit.

posted Hide Post
Reloader270:

Thank you very much for your excellent answer to my questions. Being a greenhorn in the reloading field I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Pavan

Posts: 6 | Location: Leon, Mexico | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pavan, post them and the people will help you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another possibility could be that the crony screens moved a bit

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
'another possibility could be that the crony screens moved a bit'

Ugh... I am loving it more and more. There are so many variables. I will check the chrony again although it is brand new.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pavan, sorry did not answer another question of you regarding extreme spread. Extreme spread of 140fps is heigh. It is important to therefor test loads first in groups of 3 or 5 with mayby 0.3 variance in powder weight. Between groups, you need to cool down the barrel. Furthermore we usually use Standard Deviation as a messurement for consistancy. If the standard deviation is below 20fps is it good, but if it is below 10fps it is excellent!. However, standard deviation is only one factor in accuracy - it is not to say that it would be a tight grouping. But I would say it is usually 75% already there..... By testing small variations below and up from the lowest standard deviation, you might get the tighter groupings. It has all to do with the barrel's sweat spot. Check sweat spot method on this forum.

posted Hide Post
am checking sweet spot method now.

thank you so much guys, i have learnt so many things today.

pavan

One of Us
posted Hide Post