New
Find
Notify
Tools

WW 748 Powder in .458 X 2" American?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a can of WW-748 ball powder and would like to use it in reloading my .458 X 2" AMERICAN using 350 to 400 grain Bullets. My Rifle is a rebored Remington M-722. Could someone suggest a good & safe load using this powder? <THANKS>

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
give me a day or so , i have a couple rifles in this chambering , but i use imr 4198 as it works so well ! if you need loads for most anything i can find it as i have a library full of wildcat books and po ackleys works too !

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brent andrade
posted Hide Post
oh boy ! i just found some loads for the 458-2 , but it seems to me that is too slow of a powder to get alot of speed out of , it needs to be at 100 % density in the reg 458 , and so would give a good reduced velocity in the 2 in , but wouldnt give much in the way of speed . a safe load to start with is 50 grains of 748 , but work up in 1 grain increments , i load five , and add one grain , and load five , and add 1 grain , and so on , till i see pressure sighns , then back off minimum 2 grains once i see pressure , then shoot for group , and adjust from there to find most accurate load . hope this helps you out . the most used powders in this from 4 others i know with them is 4198 , 4895 and 322 and 335 as are fast and very uniform in spreads . later guy , brent

Posts: 40 | Location: pennsylvania , usa. | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally use 3031 with lights and 4198 with heavier 405 grain bullets. None of my reference books mention trying 748. How does it compare in burning rates to the more common powders like reloader 7- or 4895. You could always start low and build up.
Good luck, be safe.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys for your suggestions and help.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
When I had my 458x2 American, I loaded the 350 grain Herters RN with 55 grains of H335 START and 61 grains MAXIMUM (2175 fps). With a 400/405 grain bullet I used 52 grains of H335 START and 58 grains MAXIMUM (2050 fps). Work up carefully from START towards MAXIMUM watching for signs of excessive pressure or velocity. H335 and WW748 are similar in burning rate. Adapt these loads with care.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote