THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need Advice - 260 Rem. & 100 gr. Nosler BT's

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice - 260 Rem. & 100 gr. Nosler BT's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Speaking of Nosler Ballistic Tips - AHEM - I am just now bringing online a Remington 700 Varminter Laminated Stock (VLS) model with the 26" factory heavy barrel. The Rifle is factory chambered in 260 Remington. This Rifle just yesterday got a Leupold 6.5X20 variable scope mounted on it after I lapped the rings and adjusted the already crisp trigger down to my liking.
My question is in regard to the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips that I am going to be getting 3,300 FPS with. The ballistic charts show a real flat trajectory out to 400 yards when sighted to be dead on at 300 yards. I plan on using this Rifle for long range Coyote Hunting (I am not a pelt saver) and Antelope Hunting. Does anyone have any experience with this bullet on Antelope or Deer (or similar sized game)? I would appreciate any experiences or comments or perhaps even an alternative bullet recommendation. I like the accuracy I get with other Nosler Ballistic Tips I use but have never done any reloading for 6.5mm (.264) cartridges.
Thanks in advance for any info, ideas and/or experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man that sounds like a great combo-can't wait to hear how it shoots for you. I'm in the process of building a 260 in a lighter weight 700.

Let me know how it works

Thanks

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

ps. my address is doberdogg@aol.com

where do you live in sw Mt?

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of small UK deer and a few reasonable medium UK deer (ie about big whitetail/average mule deer size) with these bullets starting out about 2,950fps from my 6.5x55 As I rarely shoot over 150yds I suppose I am getting the same performance as you will at 300yards.

I have not lost a deer because of the bullet but have recovered a couple which I doubt I would have with other slower opening bullets. Penetrates, expands etc etc.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using 51 grains of RL 19 in Rem. cases behind 100 grain BT's. Right around 3300 FPS and 1" accuracy in my Ruger sporter weight rifle. I have not used them on any coyotes yet but intend to this weekend.
I did use the 120 grain BT's on deer and a cow elk this past season with decent results. The cow was shoulder shot at about 150 yds and quite a lot of bloodshot meat around the entrance hole.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark R. Dobrenski: I live near Dillon, Montana and I just 8 days ago drove through Bozeman after an 11 day Deer/Coyote/Turkey Hunt in SE Montana! I like Bozeman and the Bullet Hole Gun Shop there. Anyway as I came westbound on I-90 just 6 or 8 miles east of Bozeman just after sunset I saw a herd of about 30 Elk on the south side of the highway not 200 yards out! I was sure I saw couple of "light" colored big bodies in the bunch - be aware! They were just eas of the canyon mouth out there. I had a successful Hunt with a nice Gobbler and a nice 4X4 Mulie brought to bag along with various Varmints and other Game Birds. The Whitetails are really rutting up a storm around here! Really being foolish for the last few days. Wish I had another tag! Look me up sometime!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dale Gibbons

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taos:
I am using 51 grains of RL 19 in Rem. cases behind 100 grain BT's. Right around 3300 FPS and 1" accuracy in my Ruger sporter weight rifle. I have not used them on any coyotes yet but intend to this weekend.
I did use the 120 grain BT's on deer and a cow elk this past season with decent results. The cow was shoulder shot at about 150 yds and quite a lot of bloodshot meat around the entrance hole.

Did the bullet exit on that cow elk?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taos:
I am using 51 grains of RL 19 in Rem. cases behind 100 grain BT's. Right around 3300 FPS and 1" accuracy in my Ruger sporter weight rifle.

How long is your barrel?

I have a M700 Mtn. Rifle with a 22" barrel. The only 100 gr. NBT load I have chrony'd so far was 43.0 grs. RL15, I got 3024 fps avg. I want to get around 3200 fps, and feel maybe RL19 could get me there. I have some Varget loads to try soon, so maybe they will get me closer to 3200.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, I've hunted whitetail deer extensively w/ a 14" Contender chambered in 6.5 JDJ. My main bullet has been the 120 gr NBT. When I first started hunting w/ this gun, I also tried the 100 gr NBT. It was VERY accurate in my barrel. I killed 4 or 5 small Tx deer w/ it and a WY pronghorn antelope, but discontinued it's use after a single "worrisome" experience. [Confused] I shot a small doe that was angling away at 125 yards w/ 100 gr NBT @ mv of 2550 fps. Bullet entered just ahead of the diaphragm, went through the lungs, and angled behind the offside shoulder, but failed to exit. When I found the bullet, the core and jacket had separated badly. [Frown] Despite this, the deer rolled over on the spot. Yeah, I know the bullet didn't really "fail" since the deer died a quick death, but it worried me nevertheless. [Eek!] Haven't used this bullet on deer ever since. This was 6-7 years ago so I guess it's possible the bullet's specs may have changed some since. Should be a great coyote bullet. Were I to start using it on deer again, I'd probably do some penetration testing of the bullet beforehand. I admit my experience was limited, but it concerned me. Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet exited behind off shoulder leaving about a 2" exit wound. Nothing left of the bullet that we could find anywhere in the elk. That really surprised the hell out of me.

Rifle has a 22" barrel. I did not think that R19 would make that velocity. I have now put over 100 round through it and it seems none the worse for wear. I intended to pick up a can of R15 but some how have never gotten around to it.

My experience tells me that R15 should be better but I am sticking with whatI have.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some 100 gr. NBT with 49.0 & 50.0 grs. RL19. It will be neat to see what type of results I get. When I tried 4350 witht the 100 gr. BT, I got less than impressive groups, compared to faster burning powders like 4895, 4064, Varget, and RL15. I didn't have a chrony then, so I don't know what the fps were for those loads.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone! I have copied all the info down and very much appreciate the advice and experiences related to all of us from you! I have been busy chasing Whitetails here in SW Montana for my partner who has yet to fill his tag. So sorry for the slow reply bck at ya'all. Thanks again it is very much appreciated!
Hold into thewind
VarmintGuy