Find
Notify
Tools

338-06 Questions and Pix
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
Just finished building the stock for a 338-06 that my gunsmith buddy and I put together for a customer. My question to all the experts that lurk here: is 338-06 brass available new, is it cheaper to form from 30-06 brass, if forming is the way to go, which dies do you recommend and proceedure used. Thank you!!

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
First of all...very nice wood (except for the cheekpiece...)

Norma has .338-06 brass.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The Norma stuff is good. The cheapest is probably expanding 30-06 followed by necking down R-P 35 Whelan. Either is one pass through the full length sizing die. 30-06 gives you a lot of choices as to brand, though.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Is the Norma stuff the same as that sold by Weatherby?

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Wby. has headstamped brass (made by Norma). Brass can be made by necking up 06 brass or necking down .35Whelen. If you are necking up, you will need dies w/ a tapered expander button, I like Redding. Just lube the necks well & full length size & away you go. A great caliber & a nice rifle.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes but Weatherby charges a premium.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Just curious about this caliber. Is it like a .35 Whelen or significantly better in performance?

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation. So, I've only seen the Weatherby brass for sale, any idea where I can find the Norma brass? Thankfully I was given a few boxes of Weatherby ammo by an editor.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Just curious about this caliber. Is it like a .35 Whelen or significantly better in performance?

Perforator,

Check out these articles:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/338_0113/index.html

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/mark_v_lightweight/index.html

http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/33806.html

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Get a few boxes of the Norma/Weatherby brass. I think www.midwayusa.com has it. It is very good brass and will last a long time, so you won't need to buy a lot of it. Skip the 30-06 neck - that is an fine and expensive (I'm sure) rifle, why cheap out now. I always like having properly head-stamped brass when possible - JMO.

Great round - I just had one made a few months back. I've had a couple of others in the past, and all have been great guns. For a while, I'd sworn off the 338-06 in favor of the 9.3x62, but now I again have both. Life is good...

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Bob. Interesting round that might find its way into the Encore barrel lineup. I guess for now I'll use my 7mm Mag for most hunting and bump up to the .375 for the heavy work.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The .338-06 & .35Whelen are so close in perf. that no animal is going to drop faster hit by one or the other. The Whelen may have a slight edge up close having a bigger dia. bullet but the .338-06 has a bit better downrange perf. Take your pick, both are great general purpose rounds. I looked @ the Huntington site today & they catalog Norma bulk .338-06. www.huntingtons.com I may have to get (100) for trips across the pond, but regular or match 06 brass works great.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

, if forming is the way to go, which dies do you recommend and proceedure used. Thank you!!

I think you will like Redding dies the best, because they either come with, or you can get separately, a long tapered expander plug.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
9.3x62, (and others)

Thank you all for the information. I will pass this on to the owner when he picks up his rifle.

9.3x62: Sage Advice!!

pdhntr

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
It is like a 318 Westley Richards but without the class.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quite so! Effective, admittedly, but lacking charm, history and panache, what?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Depends upon who's history and what one finds charming, eh?