New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retumbo Powder Experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have any experience with this powder? I'm thinking about getting a 270 WSM and loading 150 grain Barnes X. My dealer has one on the rack and it keeps trying to seduce me. My resolve is fading.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Too slow for the WSM (I think). Where you can use IMR 7828 and H1000 is where Retumbo fits.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet but will.Hodgdon's web page has some data for Retumbo in different rounds one of which is the 270 WSM.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<30-378Weatherby>
posted
I have used this powder a lot recently and I am fairly impressed with the performance. It does increase the velocity by almost 300 fps in my Weatherby and accuracy is just right for a hunting load. I think retumbo needs a little more testing from others besides myself before I totally commit, so let me know your results. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-378Weatherby,

Is the Retumbo made in Australia.

Mie

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Retumbo is a very good powder. As or more consistent than H1000. It is slower (need to add 5-10%more) so you can add more powder and get more velocity. I have used it in the 22/284, 6.5WSM, and 300 RUM. It has worked well in all but the 22/284 where it was a little too slow to match velocities with H1000. Hogdon's loading data for the 300 RUM was right on as far as charge/velocity. Used 69gr with 108 gr Lapua scenar(6.5 WSM). Excellent accuracy 9 consecutive shots .6" no fliers 3600fps. Used 90gr under 210gr berger VLD (300RUM 30" barrel) 4 consecutive shots .5" no fliers 3000fps (not maximum). I bought 8 pounds of the stuff and I'm resurrecting the 6.5 STW project.

Have fun!!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
grkldoc, we all get a bit excited over our pet projects at times but try to take a deep breath and only push "enter" once [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<wildcat51>
posted
Retumbo is the first powder that broke the 3200 fps mark with a 115 grain bullet in my one of kind 25 cal wildcat.

Meaning the cases had minimum case expansion compared to H1000 that I could only reach 3100 fps with. I have a picture of a fireformed case on the 25 gibbs thread a few down if anyone is interested. It is standing beside a virgin 25-06 case.

Retumbo bridges in my redding powder measure. So bad that I have to tap the side to release the remaining powder. I recommend tapping and weighing every charge.

<30-378Weatherby>
posted
Made in Australia. Packaged in USA.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I finally picked some up, last week.

Note: I was told "the first lot" was recalled. Be advised to look into this if you plan to purchase any. Something about pressures, danger, inconsistency... whatever. All I remember is the important part -- that it was no good and was recalled. For the new stuff, which I have, I was limited to two pounds because the guy only got just so much of it. Two pounds was fine with me. I'm going to use it in my .338/378 Weatherby Magnum and try it, just for the heck of it, in my .280 Ackley Improved. Of the former, I expect to add at least 100 FPS to those 300-grain Sierra Match Kings I'm currently sending downrange at 3014 FPS, and save some pressure in the process.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote