New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing MEC 600 Jr Mk V die sets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought the MEC 9000 for 12 G and liked it so much (after a few minor teething problems) that I have ordered a MEC 600 Jr Mk V in 20 G. Got the smaller press because I reload much smaller quantities of 20 G.

It hasn't arrived yet but got to wondering about 410 of which I only shoot a little but would more if I reloaded.

Probably not enough to warrant buying a dedicated press in 410 (postage for the press costs more than the press itself) so my question is how long does it take to change the dies on a 600 MEC and is this an appropriate direction to go.

Does changing dies mean that settings are messed up and need to be recalibrated each time?

Comments and advice appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is fairly simple to change the dies but for what one has to pay for a die set. I decided just to buy a complete press not that much more expensive

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MEC 600, about $130, shipping DownUnder $160.
Agreed, the complete press makes sense in the US but not for me yet.

I don't think I've used $290 worth of 410 in the last 10 years.

If the dies can be changed quickly and maintain settings then it may be worthwhile just to be able to do it.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does changing dies mean that settings are messed up and need to be recalibrated each time?

Yes, the dies will always need total new readjustment. Nothing remains the same. I did it for a while, then placed an add in a paper for a used 410 loader. Guy was happy to get rid of it. Been collecting dust in his basement.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Readjusting dies, thats the deal killer. New press it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem is having to adjust the main 'mast' for the length of the shell. There are different holes where the mast joins the loader base. That will have to be changed each time if you are loading 3" 410 shells.

I change between 2 3/4" 12ga and 16ga on a 700 VersaMec which is an older version of the 600 Mk V. None of the settings need changed when the dies are changed. They either have lock rings or I put a witness mark on them to keep the proper adjustment. About the only thing that needs changed is the wad pressure adjustment...but that's due to the type of wads I'm using being different between 12ga and 16ga.

Simple die changeover takes 10 minutes if the shell length is the same.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote