THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Winchester Brass Flash Hole Problem? Help!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted
Last night I tumbled a new bag (5o ct) of Winchester 270 Win brass. When removing the media from the flash holes I noticed some of the the holes were oblong, some had figure 8 shapes. Close inspection looks like they were double punched and off center. Some holes were 50% larger than others. In the entire bag of 50 maybe 10 were perfectly round. Is this dangerous, will it affect accuracy or velocity spikes, erratic pressures??????????? Help!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crappy brass, I would sent it back to the Store or Win in flash.

regarding poor performance, well yes, that would be almost certain.

Best regards Chris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
Is this dangerous, will it affect accuracy or velocity spikes, erratic pressures??????????? Help!

Maybe not dangerous but definitely erratic. Notify Winchester of the batch number. You might be the tip if the recall iceberg. Or take them back from where you bought them. That's not the kind of quality you paid for. I wouldn't use them. But then that's why I buy Norma...drilled, not punched flasholes.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I have a call in to winchester's Product personnel about the brass. Check a few bags of our the same SKU and they are all the same, FUBARM.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I had some similiar problems with Winchester new brass in a .243. I sent back to them a sample of some of the problem cases, crumpled shoulders and deformed primer pockets, and received back a coupon for a new bag of the same brass. Between the oringinal bag and the replacement bag I received more than I originally purchased for my troubles. I would think that now that Winchester is mainly manufacturing brass they will take of their customers.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem about a year ago when I purchased 2 bags of Winchester 7mm WSM brass for a wildcat project of mine from Sportsman's Warehouse. Flash holes were oblong and looked like some had been double punched. I called Win, they sent me a UPS call tag to send the brass back. I did and received two new bags but they had the same problem as the first two - oblong flash holes and double punched holes. I called again for another UPS call tag and requested a refund. I received the call tag first and about a week later came the refund check. Haven't purchased any Win brass since nor will I ever again. Lapua and Norma from now on.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote