New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet construction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I always wanted to cut bullets in half, to "verify" if their construction matches the advertising. Also out of pure curiosity. Or just to start some discussion.

Anyway: most of the time I used a hacksaw. I get ragged edges, internal "locks" are hardly to be seen, sometimes the lead drops out ( at handling ). I understand I will cut so, that more than 50 % will remain.

Any tricks to do this? Is it possible to colour if two lead cores are used? How do you hold the bullet for cutting? A Dremel tool ( which I don�t have ) ????

Thanks in advance, Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Hermann , a dremel tool and similar don't work to cut a bullet , OK with steel jackets , can cut the gilding material but the lead it's not possible , I cut them with a hacksaw , but think next time to include the bullet in acrilic , and cut the acrilic block and the bullet inside , then to finish with a grinding tool and finish with emery cloth or if avalable you can mill the acrilic block .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
short stokes with a fine tooth file will show the lock rings pretty good also.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but how do I get the bullet out of the acrylic?

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Hold a piece of wood in the vise. Whittle a half shape of the bullet in the wood. Drive a finishing nail into the wood near where the bullets base will be. File the bullet towards the nail.