New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal premium destroys silencer.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My favourite load is a RWS 270 Case full sized and trimmed to 25-06,54.0gn rel 19,120gnhp hornady.Works Great and have had no problem in my 695 tikka.
I was asked recently to take out a paying client so decided to "buy" a box of factory ammo to be on the safe side!
The very first shot of the federal premium 90gn sierra gk bthp to the last 3 baffles out of the silencer(reflex T8),I have e-mailed federal as to why this has happened but have had no reply yet!!
Any of you guys got an answer?

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One of those things that could have a lot of different causes. Crooked bullet base or bad center of gravity come to mind. Or that may just be one of those loads that "goes to sleep" pretty far out of the muzzle. Also could have been an unknown piece of debris lodged in the surpressor since the rifle was last shot.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I was asked recently to take out a paying client so decided to "buy" a box of factory ammo to be on the safe side!< !--color-->

Your problem stems from substituting a factory load for a handload you knew works well!

The only reason I can see for firing a factory round is to get an empty piece of brass to load properly!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the factory load had a much higher velocity than your usual reload round. Have you ever chronographed your original load?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote