New
Find
Notify
Tools

learning reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
a friend i work with during winter reloads and is willing to teach me last winter i read my hornady reloading manual and i believe with him guiding me at first i'll be on my way.He is my friend that i just posted the best all around reloading manual for.I've never reloaded yet but have different dies from my dad and what i accumulated not sure what to reload first i know i have dies for the 308 norma mag and still haven't shot the rem 700 bdl i picked up in 308 norma and along with deal came dies and about half a box of nosler partition 30 cal 200 grain bullits i was thinking of loading the norma first.Well i have a large collection of pistols and rifles i'm gonna try find all my reloading dies before i ask advice as what to start with.I know for sure this is oportunity that i can't afford to screw up

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will get almost too much info from these guys!!! I'm a newby too and just reloaded my first set of 22-250. Would like to get out of the teens temp wise so I can shoot without shaking! With old dies, you are probably going to want to inspect them to make sure they are okay up inside where all the work is done. Have fun with this.....it's addicting!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
i have dies for the 308 norma mag and still haven't shot the rem 700 bdl i picked up in 308 norma

I've always preferred my 308Norma over the 300 Wmag. Like 22-250 says if they are old dies take them apart clean and inspect. I have some dies that are close to 50 and going strong. Once you've read your Hornady manual cover to cover several times pick up another and do the same. Each will have little tidbits of info the other missed.

When answering questions some of us have forgotten we were just starting out one time as well. I function under the theory when it comes to reloading the only real dumb question is the one not asked. Yes some of us can be a little gruff but better that than getting hurt.

I've been loading for over 37 years started with an old Lee Hand Loader and my 6.5 Jap. I still learn something new quite often on this forum.

Welcome to handloading.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
As alreadly said, read!
The hornady book is a good one, I also like Lymans manual for a beginner. Don`t worry about the data just consentrate on the how to and tips sections.
Once you have a grasp of what and how your need to go about starting take your time, if any questions arise ask here or someone who reloads for advice.
Plan on spending lots of $$$$. You will get cheaper ammo, but you are going to find you shoot 3Xs as much..

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
As alreadly said, read!
The hornady book is a good one, I also like Lymans manual for a beginner. Don`t worry about the data just consentrate on the how to and tips sections.
Once you have a grasp of what and how your need to go about starting take your time, if any questions arise ask here or someone who reloads for advice.
Plan on spending lots of $$$$. You will get cheaper ammo, but you are going to find you shoot 3Xs as much..

Or shoot the same amount & take the wife & kids out for dinner & a movie. Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanx for advice so far most of my old dies that i mentioned are not used so it's probaly good ideal to check and clean them if needed.

i'm thinking to load a pistol round and rifle round just to get started then get myself set up and go

i own alot of different caliber guns i'm thinking for pistol the 357 mag would be a good starter and i still got to gather all my dies to see what rifle to load but i'm leaning toward the 308 norma mag being i have a strong itch to go shooting those 2 rifles and buying ammo is expensive so once i confirm my choices i'll post asking for advice to loads thanx again

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBEAR99:
thanx for advice so far most of my old dies that i mentioned are not used so it's probaly good ideal to check and clean them if needed.

i'm thinking to load a pistol round and rifle round just to get started then get myself set up and go

i own alot of different caliber guns i'm thinking for pistol the 357 mag would be a good starter and i still got to gather all my dies to see what rifle to load but i'm leaning toward the 308 norma mag being i have a strong itch to go shooting those 2 rifles and buying ammo is expensive so once i confirm my choices i'll post asking for advice to loads thanx again

A set of .308Norma mag dies would set you back about 1 box of ammo. As long as yo ucan trust the guy you are learning from, it's the best way to go. Otherwise, get acouple of good manuals, The ABCs of Reloading & teach yourself. At least now days you have an outlet for questions like this forum. Big Grin

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if you trust the guy teaching you, it's best to get a couple of books and read them all the way thru in addition to what your buddy tells you. Too much info is not a bad thing when it comes to reloading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i've read the hornady book couple times i feel i just need to physicaly do it with an experienced person to feel comfortable and then as already stated i have the forum for problems and questions i already have 308 norma dies made by rcbs that came with one of my rifles.He says he has primers so all i need is brass powder and bullits so next wensday i will buy all that stuff

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR