Find
Notify
Tools

It looks like my chronograph is dying
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I went to the range this morning to check some varmint loads for my trip to Wyoming this month and it looks like the PACT Model 1 chronograph is giving up the ghost.

It started turning itself off randomly (new battery) then switching from chronograph mode to review. Velocities for identical loads ranged from 1100 fps to 5680 fps. Two readings of 3240 fps and 1670 fps averaged to 5212 fps. I would clear the memory and it would give me a 2800 fps average for one shot that read 3189 fps. When I try to review the memory it tells me that there is nothing in the memory.

I took the cover off at home, all the wires are connected and nothing looks wrong so I figure that the 23 year old computer has had it.

What chronograph is everyone using now?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've been satisfied with the performance of your PACT in the past you might want to consider the same brand again. I've used them with excellent results.

For the past few years I've been using a CED Millenium chronograph with skyscreens. It is light, compact, sets up fast, hardly ever misses a shot and seems to give good and consistent results. Battery life (one 9V) has been very good.

I use a batch of Winchester .22 target ammo (from the same lot number) in a Win 75 sporting rifle to check for consistency, so far it has been excellent. Mine is eight or ten years old, I would expect current production to be as good or better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not give Pact a call? Maybe they can refurbish it for you.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
Why not give Pact a call? Maybe they can refurbish it for you.

I called PACT aabout three years ago asking if I could use the new skyscreens with the sunshades on it and they said that mine was too old to upgrade and they don't work on them at all.

It looks like PACT has a lifetime linited warranty so I'll call them tomorrow and see what that means.

Also, can anyone tell me what the IR skyscreens are for? (indoors?)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/index.html

Mine still works (Prochrono Plus) but I like the new Prochrono Digital USB interface. The plus has been retired.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerAre the windows to your sensers clean? holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

Also, can anyone tell me what the IR skyscreens are for? (indoors?)
They are for shooting on cloudy days when there is little direct sunlight. There is IR in that light. The sensors can see it when you use the IR screens.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would go w/ the CED. I ran one back to back w/ my Oehler, very repeatable, easy to setup & use. Much better IMO, thant the bes Chrony.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The IR screens are for indoors. They can be used outdoors with the IR sources if the lighting conditions are a bit flaky.

They can also be used without the IR source for good conditions outdoors.

They increase your options. Convenient and well made.

Chronos prefer cloudy to sunny days.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
+1 CED . . . with IR so you can shoot in the dark Smiler

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Called PACT this morning and they said to ship it to them and they will go through it and check it out.

What the heck, I'll see what they can do with it.

Frank

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, if they can't fix the problem, they'll send you a new shiny one!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a heretic, I'll say that should you find that your old chrony is defunct, you should not throw good money after bad, but refer to the many available and free ballistics tables available now to work up loads if you need to. These are as accurate or even more accurate than any data you can collect for yourself using a chrony without a muzzle blast and flash screen. These tables are worked up with many more samples (shots in a string) than the casual shooters uses himself and under more controlled conditions in order to eliminate errors.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
Speaking as a heretic, I'll say that should you find that your old chrony is defunct, you should not throw good money after bad, but refer to the many available and free ballistics tables available now to work up loads if you need to. These are as accurate or even more accurate than any data you can collect for yourself using a chrony without a muzzle blast and flash screen. These tables are worked up with many more samples (shots in a string) than the casual shooters uses himself and under more controlled conditions in order to eliminate errors.

Considering that i have gotten 23 years of service from the chronograph that cost me around $100, I don't consider it "bad money"

As far as using software ballistic programs, I use them as a guide and fine tune them with actual shooting.

I have three 26" 243 barrels barrels that shoot the same loads to different velocities. I've worked up loads that are remarkably consistent in regards to velocity and standard deviation and then shot them in the different barrels.

This resulted in velocity differences larger than 15% between the barrels. No software program written can account for the differences in the barrel's performance.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:

A free balistics table won't tell you how fast your bullet is. Without a speed for your bullet you can't use a table unless you shoot two or three ranges then estimate the curve. Even if you know that load x is 250 FPS faster in your gun than the book you loaded it from that may not be the same for load y or bullet b. It also doesn't allow you to compare two powders for velocity.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

If you find you need a new chronograph, Oehler are back in business. Can I suggest you seriously look at the Mod 35. Great unit, I am still shooting a 33 and it hasn't missed a beat for over 25 years. Great unit, great service from Oehler.

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
My uncles died too when he hit it w/ a 300gn XTP from a .460 S&W Encore. LOL Big Grin

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haven't worked with very many different rifles have you, amamnn?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RigbyUser:
Fjold,

If you find you need a new chronograph, Oehler are back in business. Can I suggest you seriously look at the Mod 35. Great unit, I am still shooting a 33 and it hasn't missed a beat for over 25 years. Great unit, great service from Oehler.

My understanding is that Oehler is taking orders for a limited run of M35 consumer chronographs. If I didn't have one already I'd jump on this opportunity like a hen on a Junebug.

Actually, there's nothing better or different about Oehler's "box" from any other chronograph on the market -- it's just that the Oehler "box" fits the vastly superior Oehler Skyscreens. It be the bullet detectors that are the important part. If you could wire the Oehler Skyscreens to a cheap Chrony brand box your chronograph would be every bit as good. Whether this is practical or possible I don't know as there may be an incompatibility in the voltage/amperage/ohmage/circuitry between the Oehler screens and other's boxes.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K20350:
My uncles died too when he hit it w/ a 300gn XTP from a .460 S&W Encore. LOL Big Grin

I'm still shooting over the original skyscreens from 1987. This may be a record.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

bsflag

Those fancy labs are not testing MY rifle. In addition there is usually some variation in recipe, bullet make, brass, primer and barrel length. In additoin, most of the loads in the Manuals are constructed with new brass, but most of us shoot fired brass. Last night I was looking at two manuals, and they listed a 300 fps difference on the same load. bewildered

Until you chrongraph a load, you are just guessing.

The more I reload, the less I trust the manuals, and the more I trust my chronograph.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingI think you got your money out of it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the same ohler 35P that I bought used in 1989.

I recently updated with some new stands and a new bar from Ohler web site. With these upgrades, I am "keepin on" with my original Ohler box. Why fix what's not broke?

That said, PACT will probably honor their warrenty. They are a good company. Please post how this finally resolves. thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amamnn, I think the Hornady book sez it best: "each rifle is a law unto itself and generalizations should be made with circumspection".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote