THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Win NT Brass in .45 auto whats with the small primers

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win NT Brass in .45 auto whats with the small primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted
What gives.

.45 ammo with small primer pockets. can I reload this using a small pistol primer? would I need a diffrent primer? magnum?

I have a few hundred rounds of this stuff and its annoying me that I cant use it.

I used to only see it on the winclean .45 185g but now it looks like they use it on all the winclean loads.

I am not hurting for brass but I still dont like potentialy usable stuff sitting in my "no go" box.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the first I've ever heard of .45 Auto brass with small pockets. Some .308- based cartridges have been made with the small pockets based on the theory that small primers can give better accuracy.

At any rate, the powders used with a .45 ACP are fast and easily ignitable, so small pistol primers, whether labeled "standard" or "magnum" will work just fine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you have another pistol that uses s.p. primers, why bother? It would be a pain to keep this brass separated from other .45's, and it is just more inventory to keep on hand. I'd toss 'em!

[ 10-16-2003, 09:43: Message edited by: packrat ]

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
well i found a use for 10 of them.
I have a couple of mags that dont feed right so I grabbed 10, decapped resized, flared and seated a bullet in them without repriming them.

instant dummy rounds to mess around with the mags till I figure out whats wrong with them (I think the inside clearance is a bit off)

other then that I guess they stay in my no go box till I get enough to send to the recyclers.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote