Find
Notify
Tools

45ACP loads please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm going to be getting a 1911 soon and don't know what loads to try. I'd like to get a good cast bullet load but there don't seem to be many people who shoot a lot of cast loads in the 45ACP. I was also going to get some Winchester 230gr FMJ but don't know the best powders for the round. Any help would be welcome.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy cow robin - there's more 45 loads with 230 gr bullets than the joker has jokes - try 231, bullseye, unique, AA5 AA7 etc. you can use the same load in cast or jacketed since the velocity doesn't get to the point of melting the lead. You'll find more guys at IDPA or USPSA shooting cast than anything else. any of the loading manuels are full of data

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Damn! The last time I checked there were 53 different powders suitable for the .45ACP and a 230 grain bullet.

Buy a manual...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
NBHunter,

I agree with the previous posts, that there is
a ton of data out there, and a bunch of good
choices in powders. I load 200 gr. Semi-Flat
Point Total Metal Jacket target loads, with
Universal Clays, just because I have a ton
of that powder for shotgun loads. It burns
clean, and provides nice consistent loads.
The Hodgdon books/site should have
charge weights listed for a variety of bullets,
for all of their applicable powders, for the
.45 ACP.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've shot hundreds of thousands of cast (and swaged) bullet rounds through my 45s. If you shoot in competition alot most people use unjacketed bullets for practice because it is so much cheaper. Try W231 or Bullseye with just enough powder to make the major power factor.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
200gr SWC, and 4.5gr WST. Makes major, and is an extremly clean load. 231 works well also, but I am hooked on the super target.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have shot close to 15K 200grLSWC from various 1911s. I also like WST, but use 5gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a variety of loads for the 45acp, but usually with a 230 RN cast for reduced feeding problems while shooting combat silhouette. I used Bullseye a lot and if memory serves correctly I used 5.0 grs for my 1911 and 4.5 grs. in my S&W 25-2 for reduced recoil. Several guys used a copper washed cast bullet, it looked pretty but I couldnt tell any difference. Only jacketed bullets my pistols see now are for duty carry, otherwise I use cast. Hope that helps.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A bunch of years ago I was competing in Bullseye and not having much luck. An old timer walked over, I explained my problem and asked for his load.
He suggested 4.5 grains of Bullseye powder straight across the board.
Been using that ever since with gratifying results with all four of my cast bullets.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NB,

As mentioned above Bullseye is tough to beat in 45 ACP under just about any bullet weight.

I like 4.3 Gr Bullseye under 230 jacketed bullets for an accuracy load.

I really like 5.0 Gr. Bullseye under most 200 Gr. bullets. My current favorite is the Rainer 200 Gr. plated FP bullet, no leading and fantastic accuracy in this load using Win. or Fed. primers. Cost is not much more than a good cast bullet if you have to pay shipping on the cast bullets.

I have used this powder under 155 - 250 Gr. bullets in 45 ACP with usually great results, it's easy to get along with and pressure tested data is easy to come by.

Travis F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4.7 grains of Reddot works with 185-200 grain bullets in both my 1911s. I have loaded 230 grain hard cast in 45 acp with Reddot but can'te recall the load. I use Reddot because it works and I have a lot of it. For practical pistol it works as good as anyone elses load.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 8.3 grains of Accurate Number 5 for both my .45ACP with 225 gr TC (truncated cone) and .357Magnum with 158 gr TC-- it saves on time spent adjusting the powder measure. I do not use "lead" bullets. Rather, I use the Oregon Trail Laser-Cast alloy bullet because they don't leave anything in the bore. Call 'em at 1-800-811-0548

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote