Find
Notify
Tools

Range Day....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I decided to take a couple of my rifles out to the range today since hunting season has wound down. To pretty a day to waste and I needed to do some custom loads for a fellow's rifle anyway.

I'm still in load developement on these two. One is an Remington XR100 22-250 bone stock and the other is a Browing Abolt 7RM bone stock as well that I just picked up used for a steal.

For the XR100 I loaded 9 rounds with the 55grn NBT using 3 w/ H4350, 3 w/ H4895, and 3 w/ AA2015 as well as another 3 rounds with the 52grn AMAX and AA2015. This is my first go with the NBTs in this rifle, I picked up 100 from Nosler pro shop for a descent deal. I wasn't really trilled that they had cannelures but oh well, they'll probably do ok.

I believe all four of these will definitely be something to work around, only problem is deciding which to start with:

I think I got pretty lucky on the Abolt, it seems as if it's going to show promise as well. This was my first load developement with it and it looks as if I can just start here with these and try to perfect them a bit. It's certainly a slow one but the accuracy seems pretty good for a factory rifle. I loaded a few 3 shot groups just to see if they'd be a good place to start.

This is only the second Abolt I've ever owned but, both shoot great as well as the others I've shot from time to time. Not a bad rifle for someone wanting a accurate hunting rig.
Range conditions today were temps from 45-50 and winds from 5-10, luckily head winds. All shooting was at 100 yards.

My favorite time of the year for load development. Something good to do until Turkey season.

Ya'll have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got keepers in both of them in my book. My 7mm RM shoots the same bullet almost that well, using IMR 4831.

I just don't like A-bolts although I've not had one that wouldn't shoot with work.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Reloader that's sweet! In my experience, when you feed a rifle some various loads and it shoots them all well, like those 2, you've got one that will be a real shooter. It's really nice to get two of em right out of the gate4 like that.

I'd tweak em up a bit with whatever load I liked best out of your 'baseline' and then rock and roll.

Congrats and good shooting!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I believe they'll both be keepers. I hope to officially "break-in" the ABolt next fall. (Rub alittle blood on her Wink)

Yeah Fish, that's been my experience as well. If they'll shoot just about anything you feed em', they usually have a pretty good tube.

The only problem is deciding which to improve on Smiler. That 22-250 has shot well with almost every load I've ran through it so far. I think I'll probably just pick either the 55NBT, 55BK, or the 52 AMAX and one of those powders I used Friday and just load up quite a few rounds and call it a day. I think I'll just read notes and see which seemed to have the lower SD.

Ya'll have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote