Find
Notify
Tools

.270 reduced loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
old decided to take a .270 to the range yesterday that I hadn't shot in a few years. It's a Stevens Mod. 200. The temperature was over 100 degrees F by 11:00
patriot Off an on this form's members seam to have interest for reduced loads .
bullets were 130 grain Speers
cases were Prvi.
Primers were WLRM.
OAL= 3.327"
Roll Eyes First loading was 49.5grains of the finicky 7383---some soot,2700fps. not hot, all powder burned. Not bad at 200 yd. Did this one because I have almost 16 pounds of 7383 and seldom use it anymore.
popcornnext was 37.4 grains accurate 2200 . 2600 fps.. 1" group at 50 yd.2" group at 200 yd. some soot and extracted cases are really hot.
clap# 3 was 18.5 grains of TRAIL BOSS, Would not hold 20 grains uncompressed. 1400 fps. Pleasant to shoot. 3 shot , 1"group at 50 yd.Funtastic !!! Like shooting a heavy barreled .223.
Haven't been shooting much over 22 cal. rifles for A while. Based on the results here I bought another # of TRAIL BOSS and will clean the dust off some of my bigger cal. rifles and see how they punch holes in paper or take the paint off metal targets.
waveFourth was 28 grains of 2400 . pleasant , nice group at 50 yd. 2275 fps.
homer
Note Bene: With the 2200 and 2400 I used a graduated dole rod to make sure the loads were correct and consistent.
It would be impossible to over load 7383 or TRAIL BOSS in this .270 case unless you severely compressed the powder.
flame Non of the four (4) loads exhibited high pressures.
clap roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years back I loaded cast bullets for different cartridges including the 270. Lyman cast bullet manual was very helpful. Most of the loads were with pistol powders and were about 1/10 to 1/5 capacity of the case, so EXTRA care needed to be taken to avoid a double charge. But the results were very good for short range targets or varmints.

More recently I loaded a lot of reduced loads using SR4759 in a 308 with jacketed 170 gr bullets. I'd get a velocity about 1800 fps and equivalent recoil, which was very workable for hunter education students, some around 10 years of age and having never fired a high power rifle- until the state got risk management happy and banned the use.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Bart,

I've done some reduced loads for my wife's rifle with H-4895.

Info you show was informative.

So...Did you find something you want to use?

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 10 gr. Unique under a 90 Sierra H.p. Don't know the velocity but it groups under 1/2' in my M70.

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RaySendaro (and others)

About H-4895 used in reduced loads.

Hodgdon once had a web page selling H-4895 as a reduced-load dream (my words). That for any cartridge using H-4895, you could reduce the charge by 40% safely. (All other variables being equal, if a load for a given cartridge called for 100 grains of H-4895, you could safely reduce that to 60 grains.)

I tried to confirm my understanding today by going to that page, but either Hodgdon had removed it or the link was broken.

I don't know if Hodgdon has had second thoughts about their prior assurances or not, but I wrote them asking what's up.

If I get an answer, I'll post it.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
RaySendaro (and others)

About H-4895 used in reduced loads.

BL,

Working up reduced loads with H-4895:
I went from 85% to 60% in 5% steps.
All steps when bang.
All primers showed safe.
The avg velocity vs powder charge was as expected.
Did find the velocity variation to increase
as the powder decreased.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster and RaySendero

Thanks for the link and the info. I appreciate both.

Craigster - my recollection is that that is the page I was looking for, but my link didn't work. Go figure.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Bart,

I've done some reduced loads for my wife's rifle with H-4895.

Info you show was informative.

So...Did you find something you want to use?

FrownerThe only things I shoot anymore is paper and steel off the bench. What I found to use is the TRAIL BOSS. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2When Sea Fire was doing his Blue Dot thing it started me experimenting with quite a number of fast burning powders in a fair number of rifles with cup and core and cast bullets. This is an area where the graduated dowel rods really prove their worth.
Roll Eyes While reducing the loads with fast powders you reach a point where the pressure is so low that that the case does not seal and you get a bunch of hot gas in the face.
shockerSince we broached the subject of faster powders. About 25 years ago I noticed that there was no load data for H-110 in the 38 special. Curiosity lead me to do some figuring and loading of some cast bullets with the H-110.
The first load went BANG there was a lot of flame , very little recoil and no hole in the target,
. "Now how could I miss that?" I tried again with the same result.
homerWhen I checked I had TWO lead bullets stuck in the barrel. It seams that H110 burns cleanly at a higher pressure than I was able to get in a revolver. Before the pressure was high enough the bullet had completely left the cylinder and the gas and unburned powder exited between the cylinder and the barrel and the bullets stopped .
tu2 As a little side info; that same load worked great in my single shot #3 Ruger

flame roger beer

one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
One of the best reduced loads that I've used in my 270 win is one I got out of Ken Waters pet loads. Consisted of 110 gr Sierra spt, 21 grs of IMR 4198 CCI 200 primer and a Rem case. Vel was , I believe, appx 2000 ft/sec and accuracy was good. Very pleasant load to shoot for practice or for young shooters.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote