New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which tools are needed for .416Rigby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to start reloading .416Rigby. I have allready found out that my RCBS trimmer seems to be too small. So is my Lee Auto prime, I think. I haven't bought dies or anything yet.
So here goes...:
Which Tools do you consider to be the best, for the job at hand. (I should probably tell you that I am a perfection freak)

Thanks in advance

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what kind of press you have but you may find you need more height in the press "window" to get case & bullet in for seating. I like Redding dies & the Hornady hand priming tool (it uses your presses shell holder). Forster makes a longer, wider base for it's case trimmer. Bullets, brass, powder & primers and away you go.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the size of your press. I have an old Rockchucker that I bought used that "barely" works. But at $120 per 20 for Federal factory stuff, a new press will pay for itself quickly!

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a standard "Rock Chucker" which I also use when reloading 9.3mmx74mmR. It barely works but it works and it is almost as long as the 416 rigby.
Which press would you recommend? The Coax..?
I didn't know that Hornady made hand priming tools, thanks for te tip. I like to hand prime.
I also like Forster products, so the Forster trimmer is welcomed in my tool family.

Any more tips..?

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a hand priming tool that takes the regular shell holders (as opposed to the Lee tool that uses special shell holders). So I guess if you can find the suitable shell holder, you could use the RCBS tool. I like the Lee tool better, but if that does not work for you, the RCBS might fill the void? Unless ofcourse you would use a press mounted priming tool?
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Neils, the new Rockchucker has a much larger "window". When I started shooting the long carts. I bought the Ammomaster, made for the 50BMG, I won't ever have to replace that one! I have the RCBS hand primer & find it clumsy to change shell holders, the Lee wont take shell holders for the RUMS/Rigby, unless they have changed it. Mine is a bit old.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels,

I too have a Rock Chucker and it works as long as you insert the bullet into the die before the case goes in ... just as with the 9.3x74R. A bit of a hassle, but will do that and put the extra money into an Africa hunt.

The cast trimming thing is interesting. I hate buying special case collets for a trimmer. I use a Lyman drill press trimmer mounted in a vise on a mill bed. The mill has a DRO with a z-axis. The combination works well but is a bit on the expensive side ;>Wink

The universal collet on the Lyman works all the way through .470 NE.

For priming, I use the RCBS priming tool that threads into the press and uses a standard shell holder. Has always done very well for me.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Niels,

I reload for the .416 Rigby and use the RCBS pro trim with no problems at all, the Rockchucker press also works and I just have to tilt the round in sideways when seating the long 410 gr woodleigh softs. It is no drama however.

Your RCBS stuff should work fine, I also use RCBS dies in .416 Rigby and they make good ammo. Great round !!

I also use the RCBS hand rpiming tool to prime Norma .416 cases works well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote