New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-square brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't been able to find any 458 brass in Winchester or Hornady. I bought some A-2 cases over on Gunbroker. Any experience, good or bad with A-square brass? Any idea who made it for them?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Soft, off-spec, .375 Wby, think they rolled their own.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
If you are referring to the .375 Wby brass being "off spec" then I'm not suprised. The chambers of rifles made in that cartridge can differ slightly depending on who made the reamer and who did the work. I had one chambered by G&H. Jim Wisner thought it a bit close to max headspace and tightened it closer to min. Wby factory loads fit snug. Some other ammo, I don't remember who made it, fell into the chamber. Any differences would disappear after the first firing.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
The shoulder was 1/4" back from anything approaching where it belonged. I fireformed with low loads and carried on. Weatherby/NORMA brass is one or two light years better...

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:

Very true.

We have used some, and were not really happy about it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A-Square no longer in business, eh?
No wonder.
They loaded the .505 Gibbs ammo for CZ when it was first offered.
Not a single one of them would chamber in my CZ rifle.
I returned it for a refund and rolled my own with Jamison (now Captech) brass.

As for .375 Wby chambers of custom rifles being all over the place out of spec, that may be true.
But there is no excuse for that now, for sure.
It is a C.I.P. cartridge.
The latest, not-excessively-throated version dates to the 2001 "re-release" of the .375 Weatherby cartridge by Weatherby.
It got C.I.P. approved in 2002.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a bunch of A Square 577 NE brass and it is beautiful. I'm saving it for when I run out of Jamison.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote