New
Find
Notify
Tools

In praise of the Lee powder measure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those of you who've never tried one, I want to recommend highly the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Tonight I was loading some 6mm Remington loads using IMR 4064 powder. I often weigh my charges, but not this time; I used my Lee measure.

This cheap (about $35) tool -- it looks cheap, and feels cheap, at least as compared with much more expensive powder measures from RCBS and others -- performs way above its price range. In fact, even with a long grained stick-type or pencil-lead powder such as IMR 4064, it throws charges that do not vary more than +/- 0.1 (one-tenth) of a grain. Moreover, it does it without giving the sensation of crunching and shearing grains, such as you get with measures costing twice to four times as much.

It is a monster to set. You need a scale to set it, and even then it may take a lot of trial and error to get it set to throw the charge you want, But once you get it, this measure is extremely consistent.

One thing you need to do if you get a new one: Set it up and then run two or three pounds of powder through it, recycling the powder. This seems to be necessary in order to coat the internal mechanism. But once that is done, this little thing performs remarkably.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
LE270,,I am dedicated to Lee products and not just for price,,I use this powder measure and except for set up,,no gripes,,I have never had complaints as to Lee stuff ever,,I started with the higher priced gear but found Lee the best no matter the price.
GOOD LUCK

POLITICS IS A GAME,,TO PLAY YOU MUST AGREE TO THE RULES............AND ONCE BOUND BY THE RULES..YOU ARE "BOUND " BY THE RULES............GERHARD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use a dial caliper to measure how far the plastic rod sticks out. You can then easily return to within a few tenths of a grain of your setting.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dento

I love it when people publish a simple remedy to a problem, and then hate myself for not thinking of it.

I like Lee gear and I like your tip, it's just me I am having trouble with

John

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I use it for all of my pistol loadings. It works great.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one too. It looks cheap, feels cheap, but boy it sure does work great. The only other Lee product I use is their collet neck die. The dies sometime require some preparation (polishing the machine marks and burrs) before they're usable, but once set up properly, they work like a charm.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one from www.MidwayUSA.com a while back , I think it was under $20.00.

It works pretty well with stick powders, actually better than my BR3 did before I added the Sinclair mount.
With H4350 and H4831 I was having some issues with variance that bothered me. The Lee perfect measure threw these powders pretty well for something that looked like a carnival prize. Most throws at 70 gr. total weight were under +- .1 gr.

I cut off the little " stop tab " that stops the travel of the lever at the bottom. This made a difference in consistancy too. A couple of back and forth motions at the bottom of the stroke drop every single granule of powder.

The advice above about break in is right on the money, the plastic holds a static charge before it is coated in graphite.

This little bugger gets the " best in class " award for sure. ( there ain't no other measure in the "under $20.00" category )

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one and it seemed to throw charges different as the powder level decreased in teh cylinder. I'm glad you guys made theadvice about breakin. I'll try that.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go by the book factor then check the weight,usually adding .02 or .03,then record the setting.It will throw within five sticks of IMR 4350 once set.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like and use a lot of the lee poducts. The perfect powder measure is a very good unit. I have three of them at this time, and will likely get more. I have a lee loadmaster press, and I can change to a differant cliber very quickly, and cheaper than my dillon 550B. Right now, I use my lee for 250 savage, 250 savage improved, 257 roberts, 25-06, 35 Whelen improved, 284 Win, and all of my pistol reloading. My dillon does my 223, 7-tcu, 220 swift, 22-250, 7-rem mag, 300 win, and 300 wby. I still need some shell plates to do more. Now if lee would just make powder adapters for the perfect powder measure like they do for pistol dies for rifle dies they would be the number 1 reloading company in the progressive market. Lee---some of the best ideas in reloading, but often overlooked because people think they are cheap, and cheaply made. I am hooked, and I like to use the other money for powder, brass, bullets, ECT....

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Nothing but good things to say about mine either. Once again... looks, feels, and maybe is cheap. But it's hard to deny success.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Lee redesinged them in the last couple of years. The older ones I used were complete pieces of junk. Ball powders leak from them and I have had stick powders that were as much as 2 grains off. Another piece of junk that Lee makes is their powder scale. You get what you pay for.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mines about 13 yrs old. I bought a RCBS to replace the Lee after I'd been reloading a few years. The PCBS sits in the corner and I still use the Lee unit. I like thier dies and the case length cutters too.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like mine alot too. It's true that you get what you pay for, in most things, but IMHO the Lee is extremely good value for the $.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Actually you are right, Lee did redesign their measures in the past few years.

The original autodisk measure was TERRIBLE with W296 and H110, made a hell of a mess, and bound up too.

The newer autodisk ( they added an "O" ring under the hopper ) does not leak and bind with these powders.

The Lee Perfect measure is altogether different than the autodisk.

Travis F.