New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 SPC Primer sizes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a mix of cases in this caliber waiting to get a rifle. I notice that the Hornady cases use a small rifle primer and the Remington cases use a large rifle primer.

Now I assume this is going to make a huge difference in loads for each case.

Anybody have experience loading this round and what is the difference?

Should I just stick with one brand case and use the other for trade?

I'm looking at the Ruger Ranch Rifle for short range deer and noxious critter hunting and not for dead on MOA shooting. Most will be 50 yard or under, so will the differences be that much to worry about?

I have seen this round used for white-tail out of a TC Encore and it was a one shot one step kill on a nice buck at 80 yards. Impressive and very humane kill. Very little meat loss from the hit also.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maine | Registered: 17 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only used the large rifle primer cases from Remington. I use IMR3031 behind 115gr Hornadys and Remingtons.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've only been able to get the Remington's myself. So far load development has been poor, but I have several more powders to try, and a couple more primers. So far I've tried Rem and Win primers, next is Fed, Fed match, and CCI benchrest.

Mine's been a TC Contender rifle bbl, and accuracy so far has been poor.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke Slim,

I was using CCI250 (yes large rifle magnums) because I have a few thousand on hand, and IMR3031. My AR15 has been shooting 1" to 1.25" groups all day with various powder charges. Rel7 worked well too, but is a BIT FAST for the cartridge. My standard load as of right now with IMR3031 (I plan on working up with some standard large rifle primers) get me 2680 fps out of a 24" tube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington bolt gun with a HS stock that is not very accurate 1" average with several powders and bullet combinations. I also have a Model 21 single shot Cooper that will shoot 2.5" 400 yards groups with several bullet and powder combinations. The 6.8 is not as accurate as the average 6br 7br or 30br I have only been able to get the large rifle cases. Ross

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My best group so far has been just under 2". I have also noticed that with my RCBS dies, the neck tension seems too high, .003" if I recall correctly. That coupled with the large primers isn't condusive to accuracy.

If I can't get anywhere with the other large primer recipes, then I may hunt down some small primer brass and start over. I've heard Silver State Arms brass is small rifle, but I didn't know Hornady was making brass, let alone it was small rifle.

This is going to be my daughter's deer rifle, and I'm hoping for somewhere around an inch or less in accuracy.

Where did you get your load data for IMR 3031? I may give it a try, also RL-7 might work better with a small rifle primer case?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke Slim, you have a pm.