Find
Notify
Tools

Flash Holes - Punched or Drilled?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted
There seems to be inconsistent data on whether certain manufacturers drill (versus punch) flash holes in their brass. Perhaps different answers for each? . . . Lapua? . . . Norma?

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most are punched but I have not looked at all brands.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are most likely going to see drilled from European manufacturers like NORMA and RWS. It costs more, but there is no burr inside the case from the primer flash hole being punched from the rear of the case. That's why flash hole reamers are sold here.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I toured the Norma factory in Sweden and learned that, contrary to common belief, Norma doesn't drill but punches flash holes.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slugslinger
posted Hide Post
Andre,
Thanks, good info about Norma! I wonder if they de-burr them because they sure look good. I'm retired now so won't be going back to Brussels to visit NATO anymore ... enjoyed my time there at the Grand Place.
Great beer!

NRA Endowment Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've missed something ! I no longer reload but one of the books from a maker found that the LENGTH of the hole was important for consistant ignition .Not just diameter, drill or punch .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler brass is drilled. I don't know if Nosler makes their own, but it is the very best I've ever used, including Lapua, Norma, etc.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to deburr my flash holes until a trusted, top 10 in the nation or higher, Benchrest shooter told me he didn't. These guys are anal about accuracy. I took him at his word.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1616 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old For what it's worth? At one time to fight burrs and such and avoid breaking depriming pins I built a case holder holder and some impact type chamfering tools. Moved the burrs to one side and gave the pins a little lead.
Roll EyesAlso ran a test where I varied the Diameters of the flash holes from as is to .141" in a number of stages.Found no ignition problems, no accuracy or velocity variation change that was significant. It was only one hunting rifle but still I could not see any effect. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
A few years ago, I toured the Norma factory in Sweden and learned that, contrary to common belief, Norma doesn't drill but punches flash holes.

All cartridges including the Weatherby lines?
I looked at my Weatherby brass with a bore scope and it looked like the flash hoes were machined liked my 338 Lapua brass. Perhap's there is punched, drilled and machined brass.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
At the time, Weatherby ammo was loaded by Norma with locally made components. I was told that drilling cases was ill-suited to mass production.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never reamed nor trued a flash hole. I'm not a top 10 shooter but I have held my own in competition. Life is just too short to be weighing cases and dicking around with flash holes.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Tony Boyer says his NORMA 6PPC brass is drilled. I got to spend four days at the Super Shoot one year picking his brain. Learned a lot.

Every piece of NORMA brass I have ever owned had drilled flash holes. Perhaps they just do the competition focused brass. Who knows?

Bartsche,

do you shoot in registered BR or other forms of competition? I had a switch class (3lb weight in the butt to go from Light to Heavy Varmint) 6PPC Fred Sinclair built me in 1982. He told me to always prep brass by doing the flash holes, reaming the primer pockets, and and trimming the case to that 1.52" after turning the casenecks. He said to fire form it, and trim again. He also told me annealing was a waste of time. That was about word for word what Tony and Ed Shilen told me that week.

just curious...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Bartsche,

do you shoot in registered BR or other forms of competition? Rich

BR for a very short while only.Perhaps 25 years ago.

I shot ATA trap for a goodly # of years. As a youth I competed in 22 rim fire rifle.

Now I shoot mainly to test equipment and components.
old The largest amount of my shooting time is with small diameter calibers. I don't get a thrill out of the big stuff any more. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote