New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Bullets and Midway?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Back about 3-4 weeks ago I ordered a bunch of Speer Hot Core 150gr FN #2011 from Midway. When Brown Santa delivered them they looked different to me, similar, but, different. So, I measured them up and compaired them to my remaining supply of #2011 Hot Cores. Sure enough they were not the same bullet. They even had a concave base instead of a flat base.

I contacted Speer to find out what was up with this mysterious bullet. As they requested I sent them a couple of bullets for inspection. Turns out that these bullets are NOT the Speer Hot Core #2011 150gr FN.

So, if any of you guys have purchased these bullets from Midway in the past couple of weeks you might want to check them out a bit closer.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well then ,, What the heck are they ??? Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
Speer Hot Core 150gr FN #2011 from Midway. Sure enough they were not the same bullet. They even had a concave base instead of a flat base.

U R right. I got 500 and the first 100 do not have the accuracy my older bullets had. I ,however, didn't realize the problem till U mentioned it. thanks Steve. saluteroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Well then ,, What the heck are they ??? Big Grin

All I can tell you is what Speer told me.

These bullets are manufactured by Speer. They are made for Federal to Federal's specs. They are NOT a Hot Core Bullet and normally not available to Joe Handloader. They are sold to Federal by the 50lb box. Federal must have sold their overrun to Midway. How and why Federal, Speer or Midway would put the #2011 Hot Core label on these bullets is still a mystery.

The tech at Speer told me that "some say it's a better bullet than the 150 FN #2011". He was trying to convince me that I got a good deal, I think. Problem is, good deal or not Speer has a bullet out there being sold as something that it is not. And for me to spend time and effort trying to get these bullets to shoot only to run out and not be able to replenish my stock is just not acceptable.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Have you contacted Midway about this "discrepancy"? If so, what did they have to say for themselves?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Steve,

Have you contacted Midway about this "discrepancy"? If so, what did they have to say for themselves?

I did. As many of you know Midway has great customer service. As I expected Midway's customer service dept. told me that if I was not happy with my order to send the bullets back for a refund.
I guess I expected more from them when I informed them that these bullets were not what I ordered. I made it clear that the box these bullets came in was clearly marked Speer 150gr FN #2011 .308 Hot Core and the bullets inside the box were something completely different. I felt that sending them back would just get them put back on the shelf and sent out to the next guy. So, I still have them. For what I don't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
too bad there's so many miles between us, I'd be interested in them for my blackhawk combo. Don't matter to me long as they'll shoot. Could/would put them in Colt's too.

Wish you well, post them FS, someone will take them off your hands. Wannabet??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Georgeld, Sorry for the hijack

When you say put them in your Colt, I assume (with all the attendant risk)that you 7.62 x 39? If so, does your load resemble this V V 130 @ 25 grains for 2050 ft/sec's in a 16"?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before ATK bought Speer "we" could buy their seconds here in Lewiston. Now ATK does not have any seconds, so they say. Just perfect out of the press right off the bat.

Anyway, back when - we would get any number of odd ball offerings made for other companies.
Speer does not make a 30cal. 125gr. spitzer, but I have some and they are a great shooter, wish I'd bought more. Also have some 40gr. TNT but not many left of those. A great squirrel bullet. Pete

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that you got the Fusion Bullet?

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote