New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Bullets for Accuracy testing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For years, I used Hornady's .375 caliber 300-grain RNSP for accuracy testing newly built rifles. This bullet was consistently accurate and inexpensive. Recently, I have tried Sierra's 300-grain BTSP but have not been happy with accuracy. What, preferably non-premium, 300-grain .375 bullet would you recommend for accuracy testing? How about the fairly new Hornady Dangerous Game soft nose? Thanks.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Nosler 260 gr Accubonds. Pretty inexpensive and plenty accurate.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Based on my luck with the various accubonds I would give the 300 Accubond a try. The 260s work fantastic for me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both Hornadys in my .375H&H - a Blaser R93. With the same charge both shoot to pretty much the same POI with the same group size. I load to get approx 2400 fps. I only use them for target practise as they're cheaper than my hunting bullets but for me both have shot with very good accuracy.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Not 300gr but the Speer 235's have been very accurate in mine.
In 300's I have only shot premium bullets.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Accuracy"...what does that mean anyway? Everyone has their own idea of "accuracy".

I've known hunters that think two in a paper plate at 50 yds is perfect and others 10 in .50" at 200 yds "ain't worth spit".

I have my own level of "accuracy and precision" for various calibers and I fiddle the powder and other components until I get that level...for my 375's it's < 3/4" CC(mostly much less) for 3 at 100 meters for all bullets from 200 to 350 gr jacketed...slightly larger for cast lead, and I've shot critters from chipmunks to elk mostly with cup and core or Partitions of some kind.

Maybe I'm being a little too literal here, but I've found that with a modicum of effort you can make just about any weight bullet stay below 1" in almost all calibers.

I've never found BT's to be particularly hard to make shoot very accurate but don't use them much unless I expect the range to go well beyond 300 yds so I do shoot some BT's in the cals up to 35 or so and stay with FB's from 375 up.

I've shot a few 300-350 monometal 375 BT's out to ~500 yds in my H&H and will try some in my Ruger some time...they worked OK for a beginning try but would need some tuning to get there.

If the accuracy is up to YOUR standards then that is all that's required...trying to decipher what someone else's idea of accuracy for a particular bullet in a different rifle is almost impossible except in the broadest example.

Luck beer tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Sierra 300-grain BTSP. I have spun some of those on my Verne Juencke comparator. They are pretty uniform. They also shoot uniformly, and are cheaper than the Accubonds. The Accubonds themselves are pretty accurate.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been getting 3/4" groups with my custom Rem 700, 26" bbl w muzzle brake, light weight rifle using Lyman 1.5-6x scope, 78.3 gr W 760, and the Sierra 300 gr SPBT.

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles, California  | Registered: 10 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 gr. Sierra BTSP has normally been my most accurate bullets in any .375..but their is no such animal as a bullet that is most accurate in all guns of a certain caliber. Rifles are an inity unto themselves..

BTW, that Sierra is a great elk bullet, and Ive used it a lot in Africa with excellent results, so is the 250 Sierra..Ive only used it on Plains game, but one thing Im pretty sure of and that is there is no such thing as bullet failure with any 300 gr. .375 bullet on plainsgame and the NA continent.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote