Cases are not available or I can t find them
I believe 204 ruger can be used to make 222 mag cases by fireforming
Can a 222 rem dies be used to full length
size cases after forming if needed
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Sydney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think that you'll need the 222 mag dies. the shoulder on the 204 has been pushed forward i suppose you could carefully run the 204 into a 22 die but pushing the shoulder back just enough could really be tricky

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably was more popular in Europe...if you have a German connection, you may find brass and dies fairly reasonable there...as the caliber is no longer in favor. The 5.6x50R took over that niche.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one and the same problem: "lack of brass"
Toward the end of the barrel life I fireformed 300 .223 cases and they worked just fine. The necks were/are a bit shorter but, still held the bullets well enough.

Never had the 204 those days so I never got into what you're asking.
Seems I've heard 222mag is the original case for the .204.

One thing I would suggest is if any necks split that you anneal them. Heat and let air cool, forget the water quenching. Works much better.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, you can make .222 Mag from .204 Ruger. Using a tapered expander helps.

2. Yes, there is no need to buy a set of .222 Mag dies if you have either .222 or .223 dies. Just like loading .357 with .38 spcl dies, you only screw the the FL die far enough into the press that the resized case chambers without significant resistance.

3. Although I have .222 mag dies, I like to use the Lee Collet die for most of my bolt rifles. Lee doesn't make a Collet die for the .222 Mag, so I just position a .223 Collet die properly in the press then place a washer of the right thickness (the difference in the shoulder position of the .223 and .222 Mag) on top of the shell holder. The .222 Mag necks are then sized perfectly.

4. Nosler makes .222 Mag ammunition. Pricey, but still preferable to spending money to devalue a nice, original Sako by setting back the barrel and rechambering.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi thanks for the help--I found a supply of 204 brass-- Sydney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS would be able to supply you with a Die Set.