Find
Notify
Tools

40 S&W Case Length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
If i am correct this cartridge headspaces on the length of the case. Trim length is .845, and i have a batch of cases i want to load that are between .838 and .843. Question is, what do i need trim to, i would assume all cases need to be the same length. I taper crimp these rounds. this is my second time loading the pistol round so im still questioning my practices.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have never trimmed any cases for handguns. Dont even have the equipment for it. I just shoot'em until I loose them. Usually at matches or in training.

Posts: 74 | Location: Norway | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Model7, you are correct in that (for match accuracy) all cases should be the same length. However, most 45 match shooters do not trim, rather they sort their cases by case length and then just load the batches. Note that this is for match guns. I doubt whether you would notice differences in case length with your 40. Why not try it? Shoot a 10 shot group at 25 or 50 yards with unsorted cases, then sort or trim 10 cases and shoot the same group with he same load? Having said that, I have several trim dies for my pistols, none of which I use anymore!!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Model7,

I use Lee dies for reloading, inclucing the 40S&W. That said, I also use the Lee case trimmer. It's a go/no-go method of trimming. If the case doesn't need trimming, it doesn't get trimming. Still, I use the trimmer on all my cases, just in case I have one or two cases in a batch that have started to stretch to the trim length.

You are correct, the 40 does headspace on the rim, so it is a critical measurement. If your loads are on the light side, as many match loads are, you will not be trimming much at all. But if your loads are hotter, I wouldn't assume that the cases haven't stretched.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As mentioned I've never trimmed pistolcases and consider it a waste of time.

Pistolcases more often tend to shrink, not grow, due to the sizing.

Some opinions from USPSA/IPSC shooters:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26484&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50364&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2188&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29774&hl=Trimming

And some of these guys shoot 30-50k rounds (and up to 80-100k or more for some) per year.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal:
As mentioned I've never trimmed pistolcases and consider it a waste of time.

Pistolcases more often tend to shrink, not grow, due to the sizing.

Some opinions from USPSA/IPSC shooters:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26484&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50364&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2188&hl=Trimming
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29774&hl=Trimming

And some of these guys shoot 30-50k rounds (and up to 80-100k or more for some) per year.

Cardinal,

I do not disagree with you, in principal. I also have pistol brass that are loaded with mild target loads, and they rarely require trimming. I have never seen them shrink.

Those loads are fired in a revolver, and headspacing is done by the rim, not the mouth of the case.

The 40 S&W is not used for target shooting. I practice with near max reloads. While they still rarely need resizing, there are some cases in a batch that do require a slight trim, which I am happy to do.

It all depends on how hot you are loading. Model7 doesn't specifically state the purpose or type of loads he is using.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you consider mild loads. In IPSC/USPSA most seems to be using 180gr bullets at approx 950-1000fps.

I usually sort cases into new brass, once fired and 2+. If a case were to become too long, I would throw it in the trash, rather than trimming it.
Considering how cheap the brass is (vs rifle cases) I don't think its worth all the hassle of trimming.
For example, brand new Starline 38 Super Comp brass is only $230 per 2k so I'm not about to spend time trimming it.

And www.brassmansales.com charges $115 for 2500pcs of once-fired .40 S&W Speer brass. Mixed head stamps go for $75 per 2500. Flat rate shipping is $12

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal:
Not sure what you consider mild loads. In IPSC/USPSA most seems to be using 180gr bullets at approx 950-1000fps.

I usually sort cases into new brass, once fired and 2+. If a case were to become too long, I would throw it in the trash, rather than trimming it.
Considering how cheap the brass is (vs rifle cases) I don't think its worth all the hassle of trimming.
For example, brand new Starline 38 Super Comp brass is only $230 per 2k so I'm not about to spend time trimming it.

And www.brassmansales.com charges $115 for 2500pcs of once-fired .40 S&W Speer brass. Mixed head stamps go for $75 per 2500. Flat rate shipping is $12

I know what you mean... I have been picking brass at the range and now have enough to last me a lifetime!! Still, I do like to trim, if for no other reason than peace of mind. With the .357 target loads, I shoot a 160 gr. cast bullet at about 1000 fps. I consider that a light load.

My .40, I shoot a 155 gr. Jacketed bullet at 1170 fps. That is what works best for cycling, accuracy and penetration. I don't shoot target matches with it, the loads are close to a factory load for personal protection.

posted Hide Post
Just measured my Super brass and they shrink. New Starline are 0.893". Used brass (twice) are 0.888.

Loads were 124gr bullet at 1350-1400fps.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I only trim magnum revolver brass. I have never trimmed a service pistol case, ever.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote