New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Factory .270 Load Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't shoot it or hunt with it enough to reload for it and it is pretty accurate as-is. I take it as a back-up gun to my longe-range rig when hunting white-tails. (have I made enough excuses for not hand-loading yet?)
What is your favorite load, accuracy wise, for .270 with 150gr or 130gr bulets? Thank guys

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
For long range deer, the .270 Win with 130 gr bullets is hard to beat. The run of the mill 130 gr CoreLokt soft points shot the best out of my Rem M700 ADL and I feel they would be adequate for deer out to any range most of us should be shooting.

And IMHO, there is no excuse for not handloading [Razz]

<green 788>
posted
Go to Walmart and pick up an eleven dollar box of the Winchester 130 grain Super-X power points. This stuff is far more accurate than it should be, and has frustrated many a handloader (me included! [Smile] ) as we try to duplicate that factory round's accuracy.

If your 270 won't put three shots of this under an inch at 100 yards, you need to have the rifle examined by a competent gunsmith, as an action bedding or bolt lug engagement problem is likely.

Winchester Super-X power point, 130 grain. Good stuff, and the bullets do expand and kill well.

Dan Newberry
green 788

<JohnT>
posted
I second Dan's advice on the Win Super X 130 grain Powerpoints. It is far more accurate than the ballistic silvertips in the Win Supreme range. Not just in my BLR but also in a Win M70 Classic Stainless belonging to a friend.

I reload for most calibles but not this one.

They found a sweet combination in this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 130 Power Points too. Very accurate and great performance.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I bought two boxes today. The rifle is an old favorite of mine that I have bedded the stock, bases and rings on. If it will just stop raining I'm going to try them this week.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Winchester Power Points also, but I use the 150 grain. I've tried the 130's, but the heavier bullets shoot a tighter group in my rifle. 5-shot groups go from about 1/2" to 1" at 100 yards.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.270's just shoot! I've owned many caliber's, but the .270 is the one caliber that is always accurate. My Fav factory ammo is the Federal Premium 130gr with the Sierra boattail.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go buy some 150 gr. Federals, the cheapest they make. I've never shot factory loads out of my 270 but a cousin of mine in Arkansas shots them in his Mod.700 and there as accurate as any of my handloads. Go Figure!

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prior to today I had fed this rifle several of the Federal and Federal Premium ammos and Remington with results in the 1 1/2-2" area. This after pillar bedding it, floating the barrel and a trigger job. I was determined to find a factory round that would do better.
Arrived at the range and put 4 rounds in a < 1/2" hole with the forementioned Winchester 130's. This in a 15mph headwind. I was estatic!! On shot #5 the whole board holding my target blew off the 100yd frame. I'm going back in the morning hopefully for some better weather but the Wins look good. THANKS GUYS

<gundog>
posted
My .270 is very particular. It likes two brands of factory ammo only. Federal Premium and Hornady Custom (haven't tried the light magnums yet).

Winchster power points (130 gr) shoot into 3 to 4 inches at 100 yds. Remington ammo's (130 & 150 gr.) avg's around 2 to 2 1/2 inches. Fed Premium 130's are sub MOA, and Hornady Custom 130 SP, 130 SST, 140 SP, all shoot sub MOA (5 shots @ 100 yds.).

From what I hear, most .270's are not as finiky as mine is. I guess I'm just lucky that way, ......

Good shooting.

gundog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got two rem 760 pumps in .270 one for the kid and a back-up for me. I took Green's advice went to wally world and got a couple of boxes of Winchester 130 power points, some 130 Rem corlocks and some Federal classic 130's (the cheap ones) I couldn't find any that would not shoot extremely well in these .270's Since I had more power points than anything else we sighted in with these. 3 shot groups under an inch ! The federals did even better ! My kid shot the end of a coke can at
200 plus yds

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Ultraman,

Congratulations on your success with the WW Power Point load. It's an all around good performer, and it's good to hear of even more success stories.

If your rifle won't shoot this load well, it probably needs to be checked out by a gunsmith. I don't say that facetiously, I really mean that.

It is usually possible to develop a handload, or find a factory load which will offset inadequacies such as uneven bolt lug engagement, bedding problems, and the like. But if you'll solve those problems, the rifle will be a more consistent performer week in, week out.

Take care, and good luck in the woods...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
60GR H4831 WITH 130 BULLET. Thiw was my standby load while I owned a 270 [Wink]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady light mag... it's a touch longer than most, and will be closer to the rifling
jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worked on loads & bullets for 2 years, guess what? Hornady light mags with 130 gr. SST's shoots as good as anything I can come up with.

Posts: 137 | Location: ormond beach fl | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote