Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three poise versus two poise scales
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everybody. I'm in the market for a new set of scales and am trying to decide between the two offerings from RCBS (specifically the 5-0-2 or 5-0-5) or the Redding #2. In the past I have had the RCBS 10-10 and was totally satisfied. I just don't want to spend that much on another one. I currenyly am using the Pact BBK electronic scale. I am happy with it, but I just want to add a balance beam scale to the reloading arsenal.

What advantage does the 3 poise scale have over the 2 poise scale? Off the top I can see a distinct disadvantage, that being a extra weight to forget to move or insure is in the right place. I have a tendency to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle, so if a 3 poise has no distinct advantages, ie. being more accurate, then I am leaning towards the 2 poise.

Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The two poise will be as accurate as you can practically measure powder, anyway. Either type of balance beam will be a bit more accurate than the electronic models that are sold for reloading.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two ohaus 505s. They have 3 weights for

10s , 1s , .1s . example 47.3 grs.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I realise that many of the beam scales marketed by reloading company's are actually made by Ohaus, but are there are any particular models which are better quality or more accurate than the others?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Texan and Bair 3 poise scales seem to be the least troublsome as far a mixing up the grains and tenths settings. The 2 poise Ohaus/Layman scale requires attention to avoid that error.
I also have the AMT/Lyman Autoscale with the rotating poise. It is a little better than the 2 poise scales but it is a bit tedious to set with bi-focals.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmundy:
Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

I can recomend the 505, but any would do, though people don't seem to like the Lee.

I've had 3 going on the bench, changing, checking, comparing, pages of records of loads etc. I was disapointed with the Hornady and Lyman 500 pro, with some strange readings at times, so they went.

Yet I still have the cheapest Redding, doesn't even have a dampner, and a five grain reading on the main scale is not quite the same as a five grain reading on the sub scale, but it's consistant and within the 1/10th grain guarantee.

So whichever one you get, being careful with the settings, look after the knife edge and groove, and zero regularly, you can hardly go wrong.

Being a pessimistic sceptic, I bought check weights, cut some pieces of copper wire to match my most used loads, and zero the scale to the weight of powder I want. Then if the powder thrower setting doesn't go close, something is obviously wrong. Usually me.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
All the scales sold by Redding, RCBS, Lee< ect are as accurate as each other, 0.10 gr. The difference between a scale like the 505 and the 10-10 is the ablity to wiegt heavier object such as when sorting bullets, or arrow shafts. I`ve a `60 vintage 505 of my dads, a RCBS 510, 10-10 and Pact digital of my own and see no difference in the readings I get when checking them with check wgs.
I do prefer the beam scales to the digital for powder checks though and use the digital for finding the wgt of objects that vary.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do prefer the beam scales to the digital for powder checks

There is nothing like knowing it always works.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote