Find
Notify
Tools

Case salvage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
The following pic is a 222R case that was made into a Mach 4 .17R, and now I want to bring them back to .22

Starting from the left ......

Basically what I want to end up with.
next.......
A reasonable case
next.......
Can these cases be saved ?
next.......
How do I resize them without getting this ???

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
The following pic is a 222R case that was made into a Mach 4 .17R, and now I want to bring them back to .22

Starting from the left ......

Basically what I want to end up with.
A: You want to end up with split case necks?
next.......

A reasonable case - looks ok
next.......

Can these cases be saved ?
#1 - no
#2 - probably
#3 - no
#4 - hell no!
next.......
How do I resize them without getting this ???

A: anneal case necks before re-sizing, and get a tapered expander

Roger

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are junk sell them to the scrap man.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much to all the comedians, you're a fund of information moon middlefinger

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try Bobs suggestion and anneal the necks.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Roger

you should be able to buy new unprimed SUPER 222R cases -contact Bruce bertram if your local gunshop cant supply. Bertram had all the left over Super stuff , and as far as I know hasnt got close to running out yet ...

The cases in your pics really arent worth the effort mate , sorry

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm afraid that may be my only solution.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you think the results would be if they were annealed then fire formed with some fast powder and cream of wheat?

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
might be worth a try.........no idea what cream of wheat is , but candle wax might do the trick !

Roger

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Cream of wheat may be called Farina on your island. It is ground wheat that is used to make breakfast porridge.

The idea is that it provides enough resistance to expand the neck as it is forced out of the case when fired over a small charge of fast powder.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Also, going from .22 down to .17 then back to .22 is asking a lot of the brass. You should try to annealing might help.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks JB, I think its called "farex" here.
Annealing, 204 then 22 dies might let me salvage some.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With neck damage such as those Annealing won't help mate , once fractures or cracks have begun

pretty much scrap . Is it really worth the Time trouble and YOUR RIFLE ?.

This is how my machine works dual torches variable speed timer for different calibers . torch angle 170

degree worked the best .

I drop mine into a bucket of water no it's not necessary but the case mouths and necks don't ding or dent .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...t5NU&feature=related

archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......a bit hi-tech for me, but very ingenious none the less.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yumastepside ; I did it with a portable drill and a single hand held propane torch for about 30 years ,

before I finally got off my sorry self and made a machine . It really comes down to X # of Cases and time

one is willing to expend on less meaningful task .

These days I value my time far more than say 5 or 10 years ago . When 60-75 % of your life has passed bye

priority's focus more prevalently . archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote