Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Starline bottle necked rifle brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
I’ve used Starline’s pistol and .45/70 rifle brass for years with total satisfaction.
But I’ve only tried their bottleneck brass in .300Ham’r and it seemed to be good stuff.

For those of you who have used it how does their rifle brass place in the grand scheme of things.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I have had experience with in both handgun and rifle calibers seems just fine. They had a dimensional problem with some .222 Rem brass that it was hard to chamber in a just a few tight chambers (mostly 1950's Sakos), but a simple trip through the FL die will solve that.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I have used Starline 'mildly necked' brass like 38-40 and 32-20 with perfect satisfaction, and have used their 32-20 brass to make 25-20 and 218 Bee that works equally well.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Best brass ever made.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! If they ever get any in stock I may try some .223 in my accuracy build, Lake City brass is becoming hard to get, plus rifle loonies always have to try something different.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have never used their bottle neck brass simply because I have so much surplus of other mfg. but I can assume that their quality is the same as their pistol brass then it must be superb.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use the 44-40 in rifles and pistols for Cowboy Shooting. Absolutely the best made!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I suppose I misspoke. I load for 44-40, 32-20, + 32-40 + yes they are bottle neck cases; I thought you might have been talking about strictly rifle calibers + that was what I meant about not knowing if they made rifle brass.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Best brass ever made.

Do you have a standup act on Saturday night someplace?
That is hilarious!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I've used.....

277 WLV......250 pcs
7-08 Rem......250 pcs
30-06.............250 pcs

Decent brass made in my home state

Mostly good but without a doubt HARD!!!!

New brass seldom has any resistance floating through a size die to true up mouths and punch out necks with a mandrel.

Starline is HARD and you can feel it in the press handle.

Good brass.....yes
Best brass in the world.....nope

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Starline 6.5 Creedmoor is OK.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mr thorn; glad you are laughing; I stand by my statement. I've used a lot more variety of their brass, if your list is complete.
I have found their brass to be tough. You can call it hard if you want; but it is good brass.
The OP wanted to know how their brass placed in the "grand scheme".

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Mr thorn; glad you are laughing; I stand by my statement. I've used a lot more variety of their brass, if your list is complete.
I have found their brass to be tough. You can call it hard if you want; but it is good brass.
The OP wanted to know how their brass placed in the "grand scheme".

In the grand scheme your grade as the
"best ever made" is beyond exceptionally generous

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Starline .308, 5.56, and .30-30. It’s good and usually tough brass, but based on the following criteria:

1.) uniformity of neck thickness
2.) indicator runout of necks out of the box
3.) indicator runout measured at the case shoulder out of the box
4.) weight/mass uniformity

Starline is a distant player compared to Alpha, RWS, and Lapua.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
I’ve used Starline .308, 5.56, and .30-30. It’s good and usually tough brass, but based on the following criteria:

1.) uniformity of neck thickness
2.) indicator runout of necks out of the box
3.) indicator runout measured at the case shoulder out of the box
4.) weight/mass uniformity

Starline is a distant player compared to Alpha, RWS, and Lapua.

I will add to that list.....ADG, Peterson, Norma and even Nosler

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
For those that use brass for serious precision work, Starline isn’t even in the conversation. For those looking for brass that will last as many firings as possible, same goes. There are so many brass manufacturers today that focus on true quality, that it’s easy to spot it. Starline is cheaply made brass for the volume reloader, nothing more. I use it in 9mm, 38/357, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. Good stuff when $$$ are a concern, and I’m loading thousands of rounds.

David Reed and Ted Thorn are correct.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Starline....it's good brass

It needs annealed right out of the gate before you use it but it's good

To say it's the best in the world....

Heck....it is arguably not even the best made in Missouri

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing about Starline is its available,more than I can say about most of the brass out there..

I use it in my 45-70, 348, 38-40, and 7x57 as of late..Im getting lots of reloading with it in the low pressure cases but its given me 10 loadings in my hot loaded 7x57 Brno mod 21 and Ruger 77 custom..after 10 without annealing I just toss it in the anneal can for tomarrows new shortage I hope not!! and buy a new batch..

My experience is if it needed to be annealed prior to the first loading, someone likes to play with their new toy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The best thing about Starline is its available,more than I can say about most of the brass out there..

I use it in my 45-70, 348, 38-40, and 7x57 as of late..Im getting lots of reloading with it in the low pressure cases but its given me 10 loadings in my hot loaded 7x57 Brno mod 21 and Ruger 77 custom..after 10 without annealing I just toss it in the anneal can for tomarrows new shortage I hope not!! and buy a new batch..

My experience is if it needed to be annealed prior to the first loading, someone likes to play with their new toy..

Ray....
Since your smarting off at me with your annealing poke. I'll educate you....
When you are running a sizing mandrel through the necks of brand NEW lubes brass and it shrieks that shit is DAMN HARD!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just having a little fun, don't doubt what you say, but that has not been my experience that I am aware of, I just rounded off the necks and loaded up my 45-70 and 348 win..I have used it in my 30-06, 7x57, 9.3x62 and perhaps a couple of others. Ihave a nice annealing unit, just seldom use it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote