New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WM/ 250 gr Speer Grand Slams
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with use on the 250 gr Speer GS in their 338 WM of large NA or African game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 7mm 160gr grand slams in a 7mm-06 with great results. The only caution that I have read about G.S.'s is that velosity should be kept under 2800fps. I read that in a John Barsness article in Handloader magazine.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
velosity should be kept under 2800fps. I read that in a John Barsness article in Handloader magazine.

Yep that was John Barsness, but he was talking about Speer Hot-Cor bullets, not the Grad Slam. The Grand Slam is made with the Hot-Cor process, but its jackets is significanly thinker than the standard Hot-Cor.

Hope that helps,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on 2700 anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
Anyone have any experience with use on the 250 gr Speer GS in their 338 WM of large NA or African game?

Yes I have used the 250 gr GS on African plains game and they worked just fine.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bear with the 225 gr grand slams.It broke both shoulders and took out the heart and lungs.It stopped under the hide.I switched to the 250 gr Grand Slams for greater pentration.I got 3/4" groups at 200 yards with my Ruger 77 stainless with the 225 gr.The 250 gr shot around 1.5" at 200 yards.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used nosler 210 partitions with imr 4350or imr 4831 and never had any problems. all the elk i have taken were 1 shot kills with the nosler partition stopping below the hide on the exit sideof the elk. 250 partitions with reloader powder works great too