New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 4064 compared to IMR4064
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody use the Accurate variety? How does it compare to the IMR? Would loads worked up with IMR transfer to using the Accurate without too many problems? I just never see the Accurate mentioned.

Thanks

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Accurate "variety" of 4064 appears to be a bit slower than the IMR "variety". Actually, they are two completely different powders. Accurate simply chose to name the product they market "4064" since it is very close in burning rate to the well-known IMR product.

I've been using some of the Accurate 4064 and like it due to its having a much shorter cut than IMR 4064 that meters much easier and more accurately. Since it tends to be on the slow side compared to IMR 4064 you should be fine using IMR data and working from there.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accurate says they are exactly the same, just different lots. There was an article on it in Reloading magazine a year or so, as I recall. Same with 4350. Several years ago that was not the case, but it is still my understanding. Call them. 406-234-0422

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have posted this in other threads, but I had the same question about 15 years ago. I called Accurate Arms and asked exactly what joe asked. I was told that Accurate Powders were "one grain slower" than the IMR powders of the same number, and that held true for IMR 4831 vs. Accurate 3100 as well. I was also told that Accurate was made with nitrocotton and the IMRs were made with nitrocellulose, so the AA should be a bit cooler burning.

I went from 59 grains of IMR 4831 to 60 grains of AA 3100 and have never looked back.

Hope this helps. In my book, they are NOT the same powders, but the information I got was long before they were bought out by Western Powder. Things change...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I know is the MSDS sheets show the same nitrocellulose base and same exact burn rates and what Western told me a couple years ago. The Accurate reloading guide I have, admittedly old #3, says they are identical in every way to IMR. That's why I recommend calling Western. Let us know what you find.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was buying AA powder back in the day they was real cheap. now the prices all are about the same, so I just stick with IMR 4064 & 4350. But i still use the AA #9

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
As a note of general interest AA powders are actually made by Lovex in the Czech Republic.

They claim their powder to be nitrocellulose based.

The link is to their reloding guide, together with the equivalents given on the second link this may be of some use to American reloaders loading for European calibres.

http://www.explosia.cz/en/stre...ng_EN_2011-02-17.pdf

http://www.reloadingsales.webs....com/powder_info.htm

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert: Accurate powders are sourced from a number of different countries and factories. For example, their "old" AA2200 Data powder was Czech, while their current AA2200 Data powder is labeled "made in USA". The two powders seem quite similar in all respects.

I'm not certain the source of AA 4064. However, I can tell you that it is physically a great deal different from IMR 4064, at least that which was manufactured and sold under the DuPont label. The DuPont IMR 4064 had a much longer grain than the current AA 4064. Whether the IMR product has changed in the meantime I can't say since I haven't bought or used any IMR 4064 for many years.

By the way, don't take what whomever happens to answer the phone at the seller's HQ tells you for Gospel. Phone answerers are often uniformed or misinformed.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called and was told exactly what they told doubless.Single based, short grain powder, similar to, but not the same as IMR4064. They said it is basically one grain slower, and loads developed with the IMR can be safely transferred to their powder and adding one grain SHOULD result in similar velocities/pressures. this was from a fello in the ballistics lab.

Thanks for the inputs.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd treat it like any other change in components, back off a ways and work up again.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the info.

Larry