New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4350 and its new Packaging
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was in Coeur d'Alene Idaho on business this week and stopped into a gunshop and sporting goods store before leaving town. I saw some of the first packaging of IMR powder since it has been bought by Hodgdon.

They are using the Hodgdon plastic cannisters and gone are the neat old Metal IMR cans. This just happened to be in 4350 ( IMR).

Although they served no purpose and were a hassle to use to some, I am going to miss those old metal cans. NOT much is made like that in metal anymore. Costs too much.

However, I have saved about the last 30 cans of IMRpowder I have used, and will continue to buy the ones I need until they are gone. I am sure glad Hodgdon is continuing sale of IMR powder, but will sure miss the metal cans.

Time marches on!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On one hand the plastic bottles don't rust(do more shooting to use them up befor it happens) as do the metal cans. On the other hand the round bottles take up more room on the shelf. Still it's hard to give up something you get use to.

One sees alot of this lately. Stainless steel vrs. blued steel, Glass & tupperware vrs. wood gunstocks, etc. I suppose our grandfathers resisted scopes vrs. ironsights
the same way.

What buggs me the most are the new breed of short, fat cartridges that don't show any benefit over their prior counterparts. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How was the price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two OLD Hodgden cans made of cardboard and shaped like the IMR metal cans. One is for a pound of 414 and one is for 380. I have used all the 414 in my .257R and have not yet found a more accurate powder for the rifle. However, it does not have the punch of modern 414. The price on the cans was $2.50 each from a local sporting goods store that is long since defunct. I wonder how old they are? I still use the 380 for fireforming cases, etc. I suppose they would have minimal collector value. Merganser

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see it now in about 40 years..... Some guy named "Seafire" will be selling empty IMR can's on E-bay for about $40 ea!!!!!!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, another thing, it made it easier to grab the right powder. Now we'll all be doing double-takes when reach. I happen to like the Hodgdon can better, so I won't miss them much.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote