New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading die question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know opinions comparing RCBS and CH Tool and Die company's reloading dies. The RCBS dies seem about twice as expensive as the CH dies for big bore rifles. Are they twice as good??

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
The only C&H dies I have is a couple of taper dies for .357 I have several RCBS dies and Dillon dies. I use the Dillon for pistol, Redding for Rifle, the RCBS when I can't get Redding or Dillon when I need them in a hurry.

I wish I could be of more help.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peashooter:
I would like to know opinions comparing RCBS and CH Tool and Die company's reloading dies. The RCBS dies seem about twice as expensive as the CH dies for big bore rifles. Are they twice as good??

Don't own any C&H; use RCBS almost exclusively. Quality product, excellent customer service.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by peashooter:

The only C&H dies I own are from the early 1960's. They are serviceable, kinda like Herter's are! RCBS dies are head and shoulders above these, but I know nothing of current C&H stuff!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about CH dies as I've never used them. I do use both RCBS and Lee dies (yes, lowly Lee -- considered by some to be el cheapo crap) and I think the Lee are superior to RCBS, at least sometimes and in some respects. Among other things, I think the Lee seating plug and its form of adjustment (for seating depth) are superior to the one on the RCBS dies.

I've never been able to tell any difference in quality and accuracy of ammo I've loaded with RCBS and Lee dies.

I don't like the round plastic boxes the Lee dies come in.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
I don't know about CH dies as I've never used them. I do use both RCBS and Lee dies (yes, lowly Lee -- considered by some to be el cheapo crap) and I think the Lee are superior to RCBS, at least sometimes and in some respects. Among other things, I think the Lee seating plug and its form of adjustment (for seating depth) are superior to the one on the RCBS dies.

I've never been able to tell any difference in quality and accuracy of ammo I've loaded with RCBS and Lee dies.

I don't like the round plastic boxes the Lee dies come in.
I kinda agree with you on this. The 150-grain 100-yard group from my CZ 527 in 7,62X39mm was with ammo loaded in Lee dies.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
think the Lee seating plug and its form of adjustment (for seating depth) are superior to the one on the RCBS dies.
I prefer lee eater...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mean Lee seater..

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peashooter,
No.

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought ny last set of RCBS dies about 9 years ago. Their customer service is good because I gave them a lot of practice. Lee, Redding, anybody but RCBS. I think their biggest fault is the spindly stem on the decapping pin/expander ball assembly. And their seating cup profiles. Their dimensions could use a little help too.

That's right, I'm feeling generous tonight. Wink

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote