THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Schuller vs. 500 Jeffery differences????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new 500 Jeffery rifle and purchased HDS brass for it. I also have some 500Jeffery rounds sold by Westley Richards and head stamped 500 Schuller. The Westley richards rounds feed like butter and the HDS after full length sizing the new brass chambers with a distinctive almost crush fit. What is the problem? the loaded WR cases measure 0.536 OD and the HDS measure 0.533. The HDS cases should slide in easier but they do not. None of the loaded rounds lock the bullet in the case. I can easily spin the bullet in the HDS case while it is very hard to turn the bullets in the WR cases. What's Up with this? I am using GS FN solids for this loading(.510). The bullets cycle from the magazine and eject just fine but the HDS chamber much harder than the WR. My rifle isn't the only one that does the same thing. I was told that the specifications of the 500 Jeffery changed in 2002 and the newer brass confoms to that change. What was the change and will I be able to shoot the new brass in my older CIP chamber?? Head space problems????

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IB

If you drop me a pm with your e-mail address I can send you some info that may assist in explaining the difference

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, do you have modern load data for the 500 Jeffery using the standard load? I was looking for a load that would be slightly compressed and for the 535gr. and the 540gr moly GS flat point solid. I have three ballistic programs and none of the loads are close to 98% load density. I think anything close to 2300 f/sec. would be nice.
My rifle chamber was cut to the Schuller specifications. I have some factory loads from Kynoch and Westley Richards. The Westley Richards is marked Schuller and the Kynoch is Jeffery. Both fit the chamber of my rifle just fine. My reloaded ammunition is also feeding super through my rifle. I am a happy man.
Now if I can get ahold of some loading data I would be good to go on this deal.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
In my 500 Jeffrey 100 gr of Varget over a federal 215 pushes a 535 gr to 2250 fps from the 25" barrel. I'm not sure which chamber I have.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H, Did you develope this load or was it sourced from a ballistic program? What other powders have you tried? I will be using the Woodleigh 535gr. protected point to do load development and then try it with the moly coated FN solids by GS custom. I have both 540gr and 570gr. bullets. I was looking for something with high load density to prevent bullet set back. I loaded for a 505 Gibbs for a few years and bullet set back was an issue even with heavily crimped cases. Do you mind sharing data.

square shooter