Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet Owners
 Login/Join

posted
Is this caliber knonwn for case separation.

My shooting buuddy just picked up an brand new Savage model 40 varnmit rifle single shot bolt action. First time shooting this rifle had a case separation. Had to order a Broken Shell Extractor to be able to remove broken casing left in barrel throat area. It was used brass he had bought several months ago. Sorry no further info I can give you on this matter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot and reloaded thousands of Hornet ammo. Never had a separation or a crinkled case neck. Were these handloads or factory loads?

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reloads. Powder I believe was LIL Gun with a 40 grain bullet. Unknown charge he was using.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Hornets-a CZ 527 which I shoot 35 grain VMaxs over 13 grains of Lil'Gun. Never any problems with the brass. I also have a BSA Martini Model 12 which I shoot the same bullet over 11 grains of Lil'Gun. Cases last maybe 3-4 reloads before they begin to separate.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big Hornet fan but do have extensive expereince reloading it.

I'm with .22Hornet completely, if you are getting case separations especially after the first and even to the fourth loadings then either there is exccessive headspace in the rifle being shot or the Reloading Dies are incorrectly adjusted and the cases are being set back at the shoulder; which is actually very easily acomplished since locating the exact should/neck junction on a Hornet case and adjusting the Dies accordingly is the most diifficult part of reloading the .22 Hornet.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In reality it should not matter, but for the cost of the hornet brass, it would be best to start with new brass instead of someone else's used brass.

Main reason, is, how many times was that used brass fired before your buddy got ahold of it?

Good shooting,

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve10ring:
Is this caliber knonwn for case separation...
After "wrestling" with 22Hornets for 35 years and lots of different rifles - yes!

You could probably have gotten the piece out of the Chamber by just pushing a Bore Brush through from the Muzzle. Or removing the Bolt and forcing a 25cal brush into the piece and then pulling it out. They normally don't "stick" too tight.

The 22Hornet really needs a lot of attention to the "details" when reloading if you want things to go well. No short-cuts and nothing done in a hurry.

Nice Cartridge when it is shooting well, but not as good as a down-loaded 223Rem.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of problems with case head seperation on the 22H with Rem brass. To solve this problem I changed to Win brass and small pistol primers. It seems that 22H brass is very thin and if your trying to load hot loads to get the max out of the 22H sepration is common.
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote