Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 x57 Loads
 Login/Join

posted
I'm having trouble getting consistency with my 7 x 57 load. I'm using a 48 gr. Re 19, with a 140 Hornaday. When it shoots, its a good group. I;m also using a 51.2 grain load in the 7x57 and can't get it to group either. I'm just sorting out loads and will then move on to bedding, trigger, etc. I'm interested in what has worked for other. Thanks for the assistance.

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Mr. W.H.,

Welcome to AR! Don't have any good loads for you because I'm just starting to work with my own 7x57 and am only using 175's. Just wanted to tell you welcome. You may want to do a search on this--several threads previously posted.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
W.H.

. . . 'When it shoots, its a good group' . . .
I suggest you do the planned bedding, trigger and other work and then test for accuracy and precision.

Inconsistent grouping usually says something about the guns fit in the stock or the shooting process to me. Make ALL of your planned trigger changes, glass and/or pillar the action to the stock and then reshoot. The "accurate load" from before may no longer be the same either.

If it is still inconsistent after the work on the rifle then look at the bags/rest and how the gun is "bedded" to the bench before firing.

LouisB

All just opinion and conjecture on my part of course.

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
W. H.:

What brand of 7 x 57 do you have? I have a Ruger that I had those problems with. I did find two loads that they like.

However, I also was seating the bullet to the cannelure. I found out that the chambers on the Rugers are very long throated. My overall cartridge length on a 154 grain RN is 80.80 mm.
That is way above the cannelure line when seated, but it is just short of the lands.

Now everything in those rifles are accurate if they are seated out long. Velocity in the 2600 fps. range also gave me the best accuracy regardless of bullet weight. Faster powders like RL 7 and IMR 3031 also gave the best accuracy in the 3 7 x57s I own and shoot.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
Seafire is right! Saying you have a 7x57mm without telling what kind of rifle, what kind of cases, primers, make of bullets, and all the rest is like going into a doctor's office, saying you are sick and wanting to know specifically what's wrong. You have to list all details as best as you can. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. W.H. I shoot three different rifles in 7x57 and I've had problems getting consistany accuracy with Hornady bullets, both the 139 and 154 gr. spire points. The 175 gr. spire point is a total disaster although the 175 gr. RN shoots just fine.
Winchester's 150 gr. Power pouint is a total disaster, as none of my 7x57's will shoot anywhere decent groups with them, nor will my .280 Rem. In my opinion, total garbage.
Tbe bullets that have done well for me are the Nosler 140 gr. BT, the Sierra 140 gr. SPFB and boattail, 170 gr Sierra RN, (good luck finding any of those) which rounds out the list of what I've worked with so far. TYou might consider seating the bullets out as far as possible for your rifle and give W-760 powder a try. I've pushed the 140 gr. Nosler BT to 2880 FPS with W-760, although pressure signs were starting to show at Southern Arizona's 110 degree heat at the time of load testing.
The comments about load and rifle details is a very good one. Also, what accuracy standard are you trying to achieve? Not many sporters will deliver .5" accuracy, contrary to what most folks say. It's really interesting that when these super rifles are at the range, but the shooter is having an "off day." [Big Grin]
My M70 7x57 has given a few .375" groups, but I consider them flukes, with 1.25 being more normal. That's more than good enough to take any game animal at any range I'm comfortable shooting at.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
[Confused] 140 Hornaday [Confused] Hornady doesn't make a 284/140. Are you sure they're Hornady's?

In any event, if you have a 7x57 that has a good barrel with a decent throat, properly bedded, with a good trigger, and proper technique, it'll certainly shoot as well as you'll ever need.

Assuming a modern rifle, and 139/140's, I've had good luck with O'Connor's old standby - IMR 4320 (42-44 grains), and a relative newcomer, Accurate 2520 (41-43 grains).

PaulB - Contrarily, I've had excellent results with 150 P-P's/W-W Cases/WLR primers/H4350/3.000". Numerous groups around 1 - 1.25" (five shots/100 yds), at 2750 FPS +/- from my M70 Fwt. Weird!! Never tried them in any other 7's.

The 7x57 is one grand old dame. She just works!!

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle likes 49.5 grains of H414 and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. It shoots under an inch with the best group being .512 (4 shots at 100)

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a BRNO ZKK 7 x 57 a few years ago.
My favorite handload in that time giving excellent accuracy :
PMC, RWS and S&B shells with VV n150: 42 grains
for the Sierra 140 game kings or S&B 140 grains RN bullets. Sometimes switching from dies make a lot of difference: I had a lot of trouble with Hornady dies but as soon as i started with REDDING
accuracy was like a match rifle.
Dirk scout from Flanders

Posts: 149 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All:

Thanks much for the input and information. I apologize for my faux pas...the bullet is the 139gr. hornaday. The rifle is a Remington Model 700 Classic. It seemed to be in pretty good shape bore wise etc. I floated the barrel channel, dressed the screws; so seemingly that leaves bedding,a new scope,a new trigger, and safety.

I have been using virgin winchester brass, and Reloader 19. I'll re-read your posts and information. This is a rifle that I'm building for my fiance, so I want it to be right. Again my thanks to all of you for your input.

Posts: 18 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52 gr. of RL.-19 and a 140 Ballistic tip does the trick in my Winchester M70.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a Remington Classic too! It also shoots 139 Hornady bullets well using 50.5 grains of IMR4350. That was with Winchester brass. The Nosler load was with Remington brass when Winchester stopped making new brass for a while.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big doses of H-414, thats the powder for the 7x57 and carefully work up your own load as the Reloading books are weak on this powder in many guns..

Depending on the twist of your barrel is the problem...Try some 160 and 175 gr. bullets as most 7x57 rifles are 1x9 or 1x8.5 twist...and that normally means the heavy bullets work best.

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote