Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder measure
 Login/Join

posted
I just replaced the Lee Perfect Powder Measure that came with my Lee press with a Hornady Lock n Load measure with the case activated charging die. The Hornady unit cycles like a dream, unlike the Lee device which was a real POS with Ramshot Tac and just passable with IMR 4895. Initially I was concerned about how accurately the Hornady would throw a charge due to the much larger diameter cavity but after measuring 20 charges of Tac I am pretty impressed. I saw a total deviation of .1 grain.

I am getting ready to pump out some .45 ACP reloads for my friend who is a digging himself out of a financial hole these days, my first pistol reloads.

Lee is going to repair/replace/refund (my decision) a 2nd Perfect Powder Measure and Universal Charging Die, great CS there, and I was planning on asking for one of their disk measures in exchange.

Thing is, I did some testing this afternoon with the Hornady measure and determined that with the powder I got for the .45 loads (recommended by the local shop that is heavily into reloading), something like STW or STS, I got a total variation of .15 grain in 20 charges. The powder in question is flakes and I figured it would vary much more than that. In addition, despite the large diameter of the Hornady chamber, I was able to throw charges as low as 3.3 grains with the same variation.

Based on my experience so far, do I even need a disk measure for pistol reloading?

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
same

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Lee pro-auto disk is a very good measure. together with the powder-through expanding die, it flares the case and charges it in the same operation.

the Lee perfect powder measure is terrible with ball powders like tac. it falls out the side. conversely, it is awesome with stick powders, even the dreaded 4064. in fact, many consider it among the best for long stick powders.

anyways, back on point, the pro auto disk is great.