New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do they make a mold for shotgun sized pellets? Like #6 or #4 and so on.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. I think it would be a nightmare and would be a lot less trouble to just buy a bag of shot and be done with it. check at a local trap range and maybe they have some reclaimed shot you could buy

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
At one time Lyman made round ball moulds down to .244" Don't know of any in current production for the smaller stuff. You might find some used ones on Ebay or one of the other sites. Lee's smallest is .308". Hope this helps. Semper Fi.

Old Lyman #'s

244305-.244" 18grs
25728 -.257" 26grs
285227-.285" 35grs

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Do you seriously propose to cast them little tiny pellets? One at a time?? Or are you looking for a six-cavity mould block?

No, just kidding! They are made by dropping molten lead from a shot tower into a tank of cold water !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I did not know if they were made in a mold with lots of hols or how they were done.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, BB's are about the upper limit for dropped shot. The bigger stuff is swaged [these days] or cast.

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is, however, a contraption called a "Middleton Shot Maker". I have no idea how it works, or how well it works -- primarily because I find that the idea of making shot sounds a lot like work.

I believe a search on the "shotgunworld.com" reloading forum might provide all the information you might desire. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote