New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too much muzzle velocity in my rifle ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the range yesterday. Did a little shooting and cronographing.
It was 76 degrees, overcast and no wind,little humidity, down right plesant for Mo.
I chronograped a load, imr4350/85 grn speer, that I had been shooting for 30 yrs in several rifles + my A bolt medallion with a 22" bbl. (never did this before)
What a suprise, I was expecting about 3250 which most of the manuals call for in 24"bbls.
In my rifle I got an average of 3351 for 3 five shot groups ! No bolt lift or extraction problems, no case streching etc or primer flow or extractor marks. Accuracy was very good.
I can't find any manual that lists that hig a vel for this load in a 22 bbl .243 Am I playing with danger here or should I drop back a little ?
Also chronograpked som Win. Western 30-06 150 power points out of my 20" Bar carbine , got 2830 about what I expected.
Then I tried my 88 win..308 with 49 grns of 748 and 150 PPonts. It has a 22" bbl. and I clocked an honest 2903 ! yes ir has a little longer bbl. but it outdoes my 30-06
Bar ! Whats going on here ? or do I have a bum cronograph !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
358 - You sound like a guy complaining that he has too much money in the bank. I don't see anything in the numbers you supplied to worry about. Run the test again, if you like. Possibly your chrony needs a little tweeking but you may end up making matters worse. I wouldn't take what any chrono says as the word of God. Just assume you've got some good loads put together and go with it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Shooting a 243 win.with a load of IMR-4350 w/sierra 85gr hpbt. Rem. 9 1/2 primer. In a 27 1/2 bbl with 42.0 gr. aver. vel. was 3101 fps. Adding 1 gr more of powder total of 43.0 gr gave a vel.aver. or 3219 fps. in my gun. When changing guns a 18 1/2 bbl. 42.o gr IMR-4350 gave a vel. of 2679 fps aver. This is a difference of about 47 fps per inch, close to the 50 fps that most reloading manuals say will be lost per inch. All guns are different as you know. The size of the chamber or the free bore all make a difference. Your load would seem to be safe in your guns.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote