New
Find
Notify
Tools

Press lever pressure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I got started last night. I was resizing .300win cases for the first time and I wa scurious about the amount of pressure needed to raise the press lever to lower the casing from the die. I'm kinda like a cub bear with boxing gloves on, you knopw the kind of guy that always bust of at least one bolt at the end of every five minute job. I din't notice any case damage but it seemed initially hard to raise the lever up. Is this normal? Thanks, Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The sloppier your chamber the more effort it will take to size a case. Keep them lubed and you shouldn`t have any troble. If you don`t use enough lube you`ll pull the rim off your brass sticking the case in the die before you harm the press.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that using a good lube on the case to do the sizing is important. Or, you will stick a case in that die as Ol' Joe says. I did it once..Smiler And, hopefully I won't be doing that again. The best lube I've found is Imperial Sizing Wax. I put it on the case body, but not on the shoulder. If you put it on the shoulder, you'll stand a good cance of putting a dimple in the shoulder from hydraulic action. I use the powdered mica on the necks so the sizing of the neck down, and the expanding it back with the die's expander ball, is done effortlessly.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just make sure you lube the inside of the neck as well as the body of the case.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I went back to it last night, apparently I wasn't lubing the inside of the case enough. I was afraid to lube it too much. Things are fine now. Thanks again. Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote