Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Dies & Accessories
 Login/Join

posted
I'm planning to load .223 Rem, but I have no experience with bottleneck cartridges. I've been loading for pistol and revolver for several years and have presses, a beam scale, a digital scale, a powder thrower, digital caliper, and four loading manuals. The .223 will be used at the range, primarily, but not in competition. I'm a technical type, and I do try to get the best precision I can when I handload. I'm thinking about getting the Lee 3-die set and an L.E. Wilson trimmer. I'm starting from scratch on rifle. What would you recommend?

Posts: 1 | Location: NW Arkansas / Central Louisiana | Registered: 27 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Wilson trimmer so much -I bought another. They don't need pilots, but do require a case holder. For small batch work they're about the best thing since sliced bread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For precision loading, you want either a Redding competition or Forster seating die; RCBS also has a couple of models that are gaining favor. These seaters all have a sleeve that encapsulates the bullet and case neck for improved bullet alignment. The Redding body die is preferable to a standard full-length sizing die if you are neck-sizing. Whether you neck-size with a bushing die or the Lee collet die is your choice.

The Wilson trimmer is a preferred piece.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the two (very) smart guys directly above said.

I generally FL resize wuith my Forster or Redding S dies, but that is simply personal preference/laziness.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are reloading for an AR---I suggest you get narrow based dies--RCBS has them. I had a kaboom---bad deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
A standard 2 die set from RCBS or Redding will do all that is necessary for loading the 223Rem.
The bushing dies as mentioned above are a step above the "basics" in terms of learning how to reload bottleneck cases. Web-based suggestions for bushing sizes for the same will be all for naught unless you use the same vintage and make of cases. Most new users of the bushing dies end up with many uneeded bushings trying to match their brass and bullets to arrive at the neck tension that their rifle prefers...accuracy-wise.
Skip the small base die...it`s not needed for any SAAMI chamber in .223 ...including all AR15 rifles.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote