Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39
 Login/Join

posted
Hey there I am fairly new to reloading watched and helped my father as kid but going at it on my own does anyone know if the is an alternate casing that easier to find than 7.62x39 for my russian sks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably use 6,5 grendel brass.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
Only problem, at least with my Yugo and my brother's Norinco, is that the SKS is very harsh on the brass, plus it throws it all over the place, mostly ahead of the firing line.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
6.5 Grendel is probably at least 100 times harder to find than 7.62x39, which is not hard to find at all. Look harder at some of the component distributors like Natchez or Graf, or Midsouth. I just checked; Grafs has it for $39.99 per 100.

Posts: 17273 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several guys have also had various levels of success using previously fired steel cases so that might be another option for you, but you would have to make sure of the primer type and may need to drill flash holes if it's Berdan-primed...

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have to weigh in here; back in the dark ages before there was any 7.62x39 on the market and we were shooting Nam bring back SKSs, I used to alter berdan cases to take boxer primers. I made a swage to make the pocket smaller, and milled off the anvil, and drilled a new hole. But that was a necessity; too much work now; now just buy them.

Posts: 17273 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 08 November 2013 00:09Hide Post
I have to weigh in here; back in the dark ages before there was any 7.62x39 on the market and we were shooting Nam bring back SKSs, I used to alter berdan cases to take boxer primers. I made a swage to make the pocket smaller, and milled off the anvil, and drilled a new hole. But that was a necessity; too much work now; now just buy them.

Or even more work, I used to make them out of 35 rem brass with a set of, now obsolete RCBS form dies. Who knew how popular the cartridge would become.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I would just buy PRVI brass from Grafs. It the cheapest route to go and they have $6.95 flat rate shipping.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/c...duct/productId/12650

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote